Egg drop soup is one of my favorite soups to make because it packs a lot of nutrients in one, easy recipe, and it’s so comforting and soul-satisfying! Here’s how to make a simple 5-ingredient keto egg drop soup.
How to Make Keto Egg Drop Soup
- Preheat the olive oil then saute the garlic and ginger. Cook for about 30 seconds or until slightly softened.
- Add the chicken broth.
- Let simmer. Cover the soup and bring it to a simmer.
- Beat the eggs. Lightly beat the eggs with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Add the eggs. Add the beaten eggs into the hot broth mixture slowly, stirring the whole time.
- Cook. Cook the soup until it’s clear and slightly thickened, still stirring constantly.
- Finish it off. Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the chopped green onions.
- Serve. Serve warm.
Is Keto Egg Drop Soup Healthy?
This particular 5-ingredient keto egg drop soup is incredibly healthy. As a matter of fact, here are 3 proven health benefits that this egg drop soup offers:
- Rich source of antioxidants. This egg drop soup is made with a variety of ingredients that are loaded with disease fighting properties. Garlic, ginger, green onion, and olive oil are all especially rich sources of antioxidants that have been found to help protect against various types of disease.
- Promotes heart health. This egg drop soup also goes a long way towards keeping your heart healthy. Fresh garlic and ginger have both been found to be particularly beneficial when it comes to preventing cardiovascular disorders like heart disease and stroke. (1)(2)
- Eggs are a legitimate ‘superfood’. It goes without saying that egg drop soup will provide all of the same great benefits offered up by eggs in general. I’m of course referring to the fact that eggs are ridiculously nutrient-dense; they’re a great source of protein, quality fat, dietary cholesterol, choline, and other essential vitamins and minerals. (3)
3 of Our Top Tips for Making the Tastiest Keto Soups
Making your own soups from scratch is a great opportunity to flex your creative keto muscles.
You can easily customize most keto soup recipes by either adding or subtracting ingredients in order to come up with your own out of this world soup flavorings. With that in mind, here are some of my top tips for making the tastiest keto soups:
- Experiment with different types of broth. Chicken broth offers a much different soup flavor than beef or vegetable broth would.
- Experiment with using both fresh and dried herbs. Fresh herbs obviously work great for garnishment but don’t sleep on how savory your soups can end up with even just a little bit of dried herb seasoning added.
- Don’t be afraid to take constant taste tests! As your soup is cooking, you should be constantly tasting it and adjusting seasoning amounts as necessary.
(You may also like: Crockpot Keto Cheeseburger Soup)
Really Easy 5-Ingredient Keto Egg Drop Soup
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 4 cup chicken broth
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- In a pot heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth.
- Cover the soup and bring it to a simmer.
- Lightly beat the eggs with pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Add the beaten eggs into hot broth slowly, stirring all the time.
- Cook until clear and slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the chopped green onions.
- Serve warm.