Pickle Hot Dog with Mustard and Onion Jam
Bree - KetoPots.com
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
1 hour, 5 minutes
- 4 big pickles
- 4 beef hot dogs
- 2 tbsp chopped red bell pepper
- 1 bacon slice, cooke and crumbled
- mustard, to taste
- keto approved ketchup, to taste
For the onion jam:
- ¼ cup avocado or light olive oil
- 4 large red onions, peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup granulated Stevia or other low carb sweetener
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ cup water
- salt to taste
- To make the onion jam, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the water, sweetener and vinegar.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until the sweetener is dissolved.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Cook for 30-50 minutes or until mixture thickens and reaches desired consistency.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Place hot dogs on a grill over medium heat and cook for 10 minutes, turning often.
- Slice the pickles longways but make sure you don’t cut all the way through the pickle.
- Place the hot dog in pickle bun.
- Top with 1 tablespoon of onion jam, mustard and ketchup to taste.
- Sprinkle with bell pepper and bacon and serve.
- Transfer the remaining onion jam to a lidded jar and store in the refrigerator.