Pickle Hot Dog with Mustard and Onion Jam
I absolutely love making hot dogs with pickle buns as an alternative to regular bread buns. For one, they add a flavor element that is to die for and of course, pickles are keto-friendly. Here’s how I make them into buns.
How to Make a Pickle Bun
- Slice lengthwise. Imagine the shape of a hot dog bun. That’s how you want to orient the pickle before slicing it.
TIP: To make a thinner pickle bun, you have the option of scooping out some of the center to make room for the hot dog. I like making this version of the pickle bun whenever I’m using a thicker hot dog.
How to Make the Best Keto Hot Dog
You can’t go wrong with a good keto hot dog. With the right trimmings and the perfect brand of hot dog, I can assure you you won’t go back to regular hot dogs again. To make my signature keto hot dog with pickle buns:
- Make the onion jam. In a saucepan, saute the onion for 10 minutes before adding the water, sweetener and vinegar. Reduce to low until it thickens.
- Slice the pickles. The pickle bun is everything to this recipe, so make sure to use the brand of pickles that you enjoy the most. Slice it lengthwise.
- Top with your favorite condiments and toppers. Top with the onion jam, some mustard and some keto ketchup. Then top it with some chopped bell pepper and bacon bits.
4 Best Toppings and Condiments to Top Your Hot Dog With
- Relish (Or Jalapeno Relish as seen here)
Are Hot Dogs Keto? (+Keto-Approved Hot Dogs We Recommend)
Not all hot dogs are keto-approved, especially those that are flavored with sugars. However, there’s a large selection of hot dogs that are, by default, keto-approved because they don’t contain excess carbs and added sugars. Here are some of them:
- Oscar Mayer Selects Angus Bun-Length Beef Franks
- Applegate Naturals Beef Hot Dog
- Coleman Natural Beef Uncured Hot Dogs
- Hebrew National – All Natural Uncured Beef Franks
- Just FreshDirect 100% Grass-Fed Organic Uncured Beef Hot Dogs
Best Sides to Make With This Pickle Keto Hot Dog
You know what they say, good things come in pairs. I have a few suggestions for sides that you can serve alongside this pickle keto hot dog:
- Onion Rings – Onion rings are one of my favorite keto sides because they’re so easy to make, whether baked or fried. The homemade ranch dressing is a winner, too.
- French Fries – It’s hard to believe that these fries can be better than your regular French fries, but I can’t say it enough: these keto French fries are a game-changer.
- Potato Salad – Potato salad without the potatoes–that’s exactly what you’re getting with this recipe, but you won’t even miss them because of how tasty this recipe is.
More Crave-worthy Keto Hot Dog Recipes
- Keto Chicago Hot Dog – A Chicago hot dog that’s absolutely packed with flavor but without the guilt thanks to the lettuce wrap–what more could you ask for?
- Pigs in a Blanket – Say hello to this classic recipe that kids and adults will always enjoy and made even better thanks to ingenious keto ingredient swaps.
- Keto Chili Dog Casserole – Comfort food at its finest, this chili casserole is a simple but straightforward recipe that will have you coming back for seconds (and thirds!).
Pickle Hot Dog with Mustard and Onion Jam
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
FREE KETO RECIPES + 5-INGREDIENT KETO COOKBOOKMake sure to sign up for free to get instant access to the 5-Ingredient Keto Cookbook, which includes my favorite 20+ keto recipes of all-time, all under 5 ingredients.
View All the 5-Ingredient Keto Cookbook Recipes
- 4 big pickles
- 4 beef hot dogs
- 2 tbsp chopped red bell pepper
- 1 bacon slice, cooke and crumbled
- mustard, to taste
- keto approved ketchup, to taste
For the onion jam:
- ¼ cup avocado or light olive oil
- 4 large red onions, peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup granulated Stevia or other low carb sweetener
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ cup water
- salt to taste
- To make the onion jam, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the water, sweetener and vinegar.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until the sweetener is dissolved.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Cook for 30-50 minutes or until mixture thickens and reaches desired consistency.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Place hot dogs on a grill over medium heat and cook for 10 minutes, turning often.
- Slice the pickles longways but make sure you don’t cut all the way through the pickle.
- Place the hot dog in pickle bun.
- Top with 1 tablespoon of onion jam, mustard and ketchup to taste.
- Sprinkle with bell pepper and bacon and serve.
- Transfer the remaining onion jam to a lidded jar and store in the refrigerator.
More Good Ways to Use Hot Dogs in Keto Recipes
- Coney Island Bowls (Cornfields & High Heels)
- BBQ Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dogs (Farmstead Chic)
- Keto Chili Dog Soup (I Breathe I’m Hungry)
- Keto Corn Dogs (Castle in the Mountains)
- Sonoran Hot Dogs (Nom Nom Paleo)
- Bacon and Brown Sugar Little Smokies (This Mom’s Menu)
Ask a Question Rate this Recipe