There’s never a bad time to enjoy a good cheeseburger, and that’s especially true if you’re using this easy to follow recipe for making keto bacon cheeseburger zucchini boats. Low carb zucchini boats combine with the classic cheeseburger taste that you know and love to make one delicious and nutritious keto-friendly meal.
How to Make Keto Bacon Cheeseburger Zucchini Boats
This recipe honestly has it all: low carb zucchini boats, protein-packed lean ground beef, ooey gooey melted cheddar cheese, and bacon!
- Preheat the oven. Preheat your oven to 400℉.
- Prepare the zucchini. Prepare your zucchini boats (see below for detailed instructions on how to prep the zucchini) and then arrange them in a lightly greased baking dish.
- Season. Season the zucchini boats to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Prepare the cooking skillet. Add the olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Cook the beef. Add the lean ground beef and cook until it’s no longer pink.
- Prepare the sauce. Add the onion powder, garlic powder, tomato paste, and mustard and mix to combine.
- Finish it off. Add the chicken stock and cream cheese and stir well.
- Simmer. Leave the mixture to simmer for 5 minutes or until it has thickened to your liking.
- Season. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Spoon. Spoon the cooked beef filling into each of the zucchini boats.
- Top. Top each of the zucchini boats with shredded cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon bits.
- Bake. Bake the zucchini boats for approximately 25-30 minutes or just long enough for the zucchini to become fork tender.
- (Optional) Garnish. Remove the zucchini boats from the oven and sprinkle them with chopped fresh chives if using,
- Serve. Serve warm.
How to Prep Zucchini
Here’s how you can turn your medium sized pieces of zucchini into low carb keto zucchini boats:
- Trim. Trim the ends off the zucchini.
- Cut. Cut each piece of zucchini in half lengthwise.
- Scoop. Use either a melon ball scoop or a teaspoon to scoop out the pulp, leaving shells that are about ½ inch in size.
- Arrange. Arrange the zucchini boats in a lightly greased baking dish and then proceed with the recipe as usual.
Looking for something a little less ‘cheeseburger-y’, try this incredible zucchini boat bolognese recipe from Jessica at How Sweet Eats.
Best Way to Store Keto Bacon Cheeseburger Zucchini Boats for Later
The best way to store any leftover bacon cheeseburger zucchini boats that you have on hand is to keep them sealed up tightly inside of an airtight container and then keep the container in the fridge. They will keep for up to 3 days when stored like this.
It’s not recommended to freeze this recipe because your zucchini boats will lose most of their consistency during the thawing out process.
(You may also like: Zucchini Sliders)
Easy Keto Bacon Cheeseburger Zucchini Boats (OMG these are good!)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound ground lean beef
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp mustard
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 oz bacon, cooked and crumbed
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives (optional)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Trim the zucchini and cut in half lengthwise.
- With a melon ball scoop or teaspoon, scoop out pulp, leaving ½ -in. shells.
- Arrange the zucchini boats in lightly greased baking dish.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste and set aside.
- To make the sauce, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the beef and cook until no longer pink.
- Add the onion powder, garlic powder, tomato paste and mustard and mix to combine.
- Add the chicken stock and cream cheese and stir well.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Spoon the beef filling into the zucchini boats.
- Top each zucchini boat with shredded Cheddar cheese and bacon.
- Bake for another 25-30 minutes or until the zucchini is fork tender.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with chives (if using) and serve warm.