When I first bought my Instant Pot, I had a feeling that I would be able to make quite a few tasty keto friendly recipes with it. Even with that in mind going in, I was still completely blown away by the sheer amount of keto recipes available to make with an Instant Pot. Nearly everything you can think of can be made in one–even yogurt! Yes folks, keto yogurt! I was skeptical myself but as soon as you check out the recipe that I’m going to be sharing today, you’ll be a believer as well. The recipe will show you how to make the best Instant Pot keto yogurt, the easy way.
Homemade Full Fat Yogurt Is the Best Yogurt
I’m not joking when I say that this just might be the easiest way I know of to make keto friendly yogurt. It only takes 10 quick minutes of prep work (followed by eight hours of cook time) to have the yogurt ready to go, and you’ll only be needing three simple ingredients: whole milk, heavy cream, and plain yogurt (just make sure that the yogurt you use as a starter contains live and active cultures).
Using both whole milk and heavy cream adds a ton of quality fat calories into the yogurt. Four cups of whole milk ends up providing 32 grams of fat, while four cups of heavy cream adds a whopping 184 grams of fat into the mix.
On top of the calories from fat, both the whole milk and heavy cream also add modest amounts of protein and essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, calcium, and magnesium. In addition, using two tablespoons of yogurt provides you with even more protein and essential nutrients, on top of live and active bacteria cultures.
How to Make Instant Pot Keto Yogurt
Making keto yogurt with your instant pot is incredibly easy, and I was pleasantly surprised with the finished product–it’s amazing. Here’s exactly how you can make your own from scratch using only 3 simple ingredients and the trusty Instant Pot:
- Choose the right starter yogurt. Make sure that the yogurt you will be using when making this recipe contains live and active bacteria cultures.
- Combine the ingredients. Add the whole milk and heavy cream into the instant pot. Mix to combine.
- Boil. Press the YOGURT button on the instant pot repeatedly to select More. Wait 10 seconds and the instant pot will beep and read BOIL.
- Close the lid and allow the boiling cycle to run.
- Temperature check. Remove the instant pot lid and stir the milk mixture before checking its temperature until it reaches at least 180℉.
- Let the milk mixture cool down to 110-115℉ and then add half of the mixture to a small bowl.
- Add yogurt. Add plain yogurt to the milk mixture and stir to combine. Stir this new yogurt back into the existing milk mixture in the instant pot.
- Close the lid, press the YOGURT button, and adjust to Normal mode.
- Cook. Set the timer for 8 hours and close the lid. Once done, the screen will once again read YOGT.
- Chill. Remove the lid and transfer your yogurt into airtight storage containers. Chill for a minimum of 5-6 hours before serving.
What are the Nutritional Benefits of Eating Yogurt While on a Keto Diet?
A 7 ounce serving of yogurt can contain anywhere between 7.9 grams of carbohydrate to 37 grams of carbohydrate.
- Yogurt, Fruit, Whole Milk – 37 grams of carbohydrate (1)
- Yogurt, Greek, Plain, Whole Milk – 7.9 grams of carbohydrate (2)
- Yogurt, Plain, Skim Milk – 15.2 grams of carbohydrate (3)
3 Great Health Benefits From Making Homemade Low Carb Keto Yogurt
Making low carb instant pot yogurt like this is actually pretty good for your health on top of tasting great. Here are just 3 of the great health benefits you can gain from making this recipe:
- Rich in probiotics. Yogurt is a well known source of probiotics, which provide many great benefits when it comes to your gut health. (1)
- High in protein. Mixing together plain yogurt, heavy cream, and whole milk means you’re ending up with one low carb option that packs in plenty of protein to help fuel muscle repair and growth.
- Excellent source of calcium. This instant pot yogurt is also a great source of calcium, which leads to stronger bones and helps to reduce your risk of osteoarthritis.
How Long Does This Homemade Yogurt Stay Good For?
You can expect this Instant Pot yogurt to last for up to five days if properly stored in an airtight container or jar in the fridge. After a while, the yogurt may appear to separate, resulting in a watery layer on top and a thicker layer on the bottom. This is normal for homemade yogurt and shouldn’t be taken as a sign that it has spoiled. Just stir it before serving and it should be good as new.
Can Homemade Yogurt Be Frozen?
While yes, it’s possible to freeze your homemade yogurt, it also happens to be one of those foods that loses a lot of its consistency when you thaw it out – which is to say I definitely would not recommend freezing it if you’re planning on just thawing it out and eating it normally after.
However, with that being said, there are still some instances where freezing your homemade yogurt could be appropriate. If you make a lot of recipes with yogurt as an ingredient, or even if you make a lot of smoothies, keeping a batch of frozen yogurt on hand can be an incredibly convenient option.
Keto Yogurt Toppings
(You may also like: Instant Pot Keto Greek Yogurt)
How to Make the Best Instant Pot Keto Yogurt (The Easy Way)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours, 10 minutes
- Yield: 16 1x
4 cups whole milk
4 cups heavy cream
2 tbsp plain yogurt (see note*)
- Pour the milk and heavy cream into the Instant pot.
- Mix to combine.
- Press the YOGURT button on the Instant Pot repeatedly to select More mode.
- After 10 seconds, the Instant pot will beep and screen will read “BOIL”.
- Close the lid and walk away.
- After the boil cycle is complete, the screen will read “YOGT” and the Pot will turn off.
- Remove the lid.
- Stir the milk and check the temperature using a cooking thermometer.
- The milk must reach a temperature of at least 180°F.
- Allow the milk to cool until it reaches a temperature of 110 to 115 °F.
- Place ½ cup of the milk in a small bowl.
- Add the plain yogurt and stir to combine.
- Stir the yogurt mixture back into the milk mixture in the pot.
- Close the lid.
- Press the “Yogurt” button and adjust to Normal mode.
- Set the time for 8 hours.
- Close with a lid.
- When finished, the Instant Pot will beep and screen will read “YOGT”.
- Remove the lid.
- Transfer the yogurt to storage containers.
- Cover and chill until cold, about 4-6 hours, or up to 5 days.
*Make sure the yogurt you use as starter contains live and active cultures.
More Homemade Keto Yogurt Recipes:
- Keto Strawberry Frozen Yogurt (Sugar Free Mom)
- Low Carb Breakfast Yogurt Parfait (Health Starts in the Kitchen)
- Low Carb Noosa Copycat (This Mom’s Menu)
- Keto Yogurt Bark (Low Carb Inspirations)
- Yogurt Popsicles (Little Pine Kitchen)
- Keto Matcha Frozen Yogurt Bark (Sugar Free Londoner)
- Keto Yogurt Cake (Family On Keto)