If you love to make homemade mug cakes, then you need to try this recipe for making a soul-satisfying keto tres leches mug cake. It captures the classic taste of a tres leches cake in an easy to make mug cake recipe that stays 100% keto-friendly thanks to some smart ingredient choices.
How to Make Keto Approved Condensed Milk Topping
Whenever I make this mug cake recipe, I usually like to start out by making the low carb condensed milk:
- Boil. Add ¼ cup of heavy whipping cream, butter, and a low carb granulated sweetener to a heavy bottomed saucepan and then bring the ingredients to a boil over medium heat before reducing the heat to low.
- Simmer. Simmer the mixture until the cream has reduced by half and then remove from the heat.
- Finish it off. Add one tablespoon of heavy whipping cream and the unsweetened almond milk and stir to combine.
- Set aside. Set the condensed milk to the side until ready to use.
How to Make Keto Tres Leches Mug Cake
After preparing the condensed milk, it’s time to make the actual tres leches mug cake:
- Whisk. Add the almond milk, eggs, melted butter, unsweetened vanilla extract, and low carb sweetener to a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Add the coconut flour, almond flour, and baking powder and whisk until smooth.
- Microwave. Divide the mug cake batter between 2 microwave-safe mugs and microwave on high for 90 seconds or until just firm to the touch with a toothpick inserted into the center coming out clean; if the mug cakes are still a bit raw in the middle, you can simply add an additional 30 to 60 seconds of cooking time.
- Pierce. Pierce the tops of the mug cakes using a fork.
- Pour. Pour the condensed milk topping over top of the mug cakes.
- Prepare the whipped cream topping. Add ¼ cup of cold heavy whipping cream, vanilla extract, and 2 teaspoons of a low carb sweetener to a chilled mixing bowl and beat on high speed for 1 ½ to 2 minutes or until thick.
- Spread. Spread the whipped cream topping over the mug cakes and decorate with strawberries.
- Serve. Serve immediately.
3 Tips for Making Keto Mug Cakes
Mug cakes are one of my favorite types of keto desserts to make – so it’s pretty safe to assume that I’ve made my share of mug cake recipes. With that in mind, here are a few of my top tips to keep in mind that might help you out when making your own keto mug cakes:
- Try out xanthan gum. Many traditional mug cake recipes like to use ingredients that rise, such as self-rising flour. You can replicate this by using a low carb keto approved ingredient like xanthan gum that will help your keto mug cakes rise.
- Be careful not to microwave your cake for too long. When it comes to making mug cakes, you’re definitely better off slightly undercooking your dessert as opposed to accidentally microwaving it for too long. An undercooked mug cake can easily be heated for an additional 5 to 10 seconds; an overcooked cake will be permanently overcooked.
- Add a topping to elevate your mug cakes. Adding the right keto approved topping can easily turn a good mug cake into a great mug cake. This particular recipe uses homemade whipped cream and strawberries but you should feel free to add your own favorite keto-friendly toppings to your own mug cakes.
(Also try: Snickerdoodle Mug Cake)
Keto Tres Leches Mug Cake
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
For the mug cakes:
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp unsweetened vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp granulated Stevia or other low carb granulated sweetener
For the keto condensed milk topping:
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp granulated Stevia or other low carb granulated sweetener
- 1 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
For the whipped cream:
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ tsp unsweetened vanilla extract
- 2 tsp granulated Stevia or other low carb granulated sweetener
- 2 strawberries
- To make the keto condensed milk, add ¼ cup of heavy cream, butter and sweetener to a heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Bring to boil over medium heat then reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer until the cream has reduced by half.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of heavy whipped cream and almond milk and stir to combine.
- Set aside.
- To make the mug cakes, in a bowl place the almond milk, eggs, butter, vanilla extract and sweetener and whisk to combine.
- Add the coconut flour, almond flour and baking powder and whisk until smooth.
- Divide the batter between two microwave safe mugs.
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds or until just firm to touch and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- If still raw in the middle, add another 30 to 60 seconds to the cooking time.
- Pierce the cakes with a fork.
- Pour the keto condensed milk topping over the cakes.
- When ready to serve, add ¼ cup cold heavy whipping cream, vanilla extract and 2 teaspoons sweetener into a chilled mixing bowl and beat on high speed 1 ½ to 2 minutes or until thick.
- Spread over the cakes and decorate with sliced strawberries.