Today I’ll be sharing a recipe for making a creamy tomato keto chicken skillet that works wonders for when you’re in a pinch and you need to come up with a nourishing dinner in a hurry. If you love to cook low carb meals in a cast iron skillet as much as I do, then this is one keto recipe that you’re definitely not going to want to miss out on.
How to Make Tomato Keto Chicken Skillet
Here’s exactly how to make this quick and comforting creamy tomato chicken skillet:
- Season. Season the chicken breasts with salt and black pepper.
- Prepare the cooking skillet. Add the olive oil to a cast iron skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Cook the chicken. Add the chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove the chicken from the skillet when done.
- Cook the garlic and pepper flakes. Add the minced garlic cloves and crushed red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes. Add the tomato paste and one can of crushed tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Simmer. Allow the mixture to simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the cream and cheese. Add the heavy cream and grated Parmesan cheese and stir to combine.
- Add the basil. Stir in the chopped basil leaves.
- Season. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Return the chicken. Add the chicken back into the skillet and spoon the sauce over top of it.
- Simmer. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened to your liking.
- Garnish. Top with extra grated Parmesan cheese and chopped basil leaves.
- Serve. Serve warm.
Tips for Cooking with a Cast Iron Skillet
There can admittedly be a bit of a learning curve when it comes to cooking with a cast iron skillet. With that in mind, here are some of our top tips for cooking with one:
- Season first. The first thing that you’ll want to do if you’re using a brand new cast iron is season it. To do so, you’ll first want to thoroughly scrub your skillet with hot soapy water. After letting it dry, spread a layer of either shortening or cooking oil over the skillet before putting it on the oven upside down for approximately one hour at 375℉.
- Keep it out of the dishwasher. Make sure that you never use the dishwasher to clean your cast iron skillet; you’ll instead want to wash it by hand using any mild dishwashing soap.
- Always pre-heat. Never add any food into a cold cast iron skillet; it will end up sticking. Instead, only add ingredients into a warm or a hot skillet.
Can I Freeze the Keto Chicken Skillet?
You can absolutely freeze this keto chicken skillet dish. As with any hot food, you’ll first just need to make sure that you allow the dish to cool completely if you’re planning on freezing it.
Once it has cooled, simply transfer the chicken into a freezer-safe airtight container and you’ll be able to keep it frozen for up to 4 months.
(Also try: Keto Garlic Chicken Skillet)
Creamy Tomato Keto Chicken Skillet
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4–5 oz each)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (14 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese plus extra for decoration
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves plus extra for serving
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Season the chicken with salt and black pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and cook 4-5 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet.
- Add the garlic and crushed red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato paste and crushed tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream and parmesan and stir to combine.
- Stir in the chopped basil.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet and spoon the sauce over the top.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes or until thickened to your liking.
- Top with extra Parmesan and basil leaves and serve.