I’ve been experimenting a lot with bulletproof tea and dare I say I love it even more than my usual cup of coffee (and bulletproof coffee). It’s the perfect keto tea recipe for my morning or afternoon pick me ups.
What Is Bulletproof Tea?
Bulletproof tea is made with tea, butter, and MCT oil or coconut oil. When blended together, they emulsify and become a creamier, thicker version of tea.
Is Bulletproof Tea Good for You?
Absolutely! Bulletproof tea is packed with so many nutrients that you may actually feel a marked difference in your wellbeing and energy levels when you drink it.
- Black tea and Green Tea – Both contain powerful antioxidants and compounds that can reduce inflammation and reduce your risk of developing chronic conditions. (1)
- Butter – Butter, particularly grass-fed butter, contains omega-3 fatty acids which play an important role in heart, brain, eye and lung health. (2)
- MCT Oil – Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT) Oil helps with weight management, helps in decreasing inflammation, abdominal obesity and metabolic syndrome. (3)
Bulletproof Tea vs. Bulletproof Coffee (Which Is Better?)
Bulletproof tea and coffee are both excellent and are loaded with health benefits. It mostly boils down to user preference, especially considering coffee has higher caffeine per serving than tea.
This is something to consider when drinking bulletproof coffee later in the day, as it could make one have trouble sleeping. In this case, bulletproof tea may be the better choice so as not to disturb normal sleeping patterns.
Taste-wise, this boils down to preference as well. Some enjoy the taste of coffee, since coffee bean flavors vary wildly depending on the type of roast, origin of the bean, and manner of preparation.
Tea on the other hand, also has many varieties of tea leaves and can be prepared in a variety of ways to alter the taste and color of the brew.
How to Make Keto Tea
Making your own keto tea is so easy! Simply steep your tea and then blend it with your butter and MCT oil or coconut oil.
Half a tablespoon of butter and half a tablespoon of MCT oil will do the trick. To blend the two, I recommend either of the following:
- Milk frother – The easier option as you can use the milk frother in the mug
- Blender – Blend the ingredients on high for less than a minute or until it starts to froth
Metabolism-Boosting Iced Keto Bulletproof Tea (Good with Green or Black)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
- 1 tsp loose black tea or green tea
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tbsp MCT oil
- ice cubes
- Add the tea to boiling water and steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain out the tea.
- Add the butter, MTC oil and tea to a blender and blend until mixed.
- Pour over ice and serve.
More Morning Keto Drink Ideas
Homemade French Vanilla Keto Coffee Creamer – This is such a treat to have with my morning coffee. Just a tablespoon or two is plenty.
Lemon Lime Keto Electrolyte Drink – After a hard workout, there is nothing I would rather have than my lemon lime electrolyte drink.
Mocha Frozen Latte Keto Shake – For my mid-day pick me up, this frozen mocha latte is my drink of choice for sustained energy and rich, chocolate flavor.
Thick and Creamy Keto Hot Chocolate – If I could make something every day, this would probably be it: rich, creamy hot chocolate with a thicker layer of whip on top.