For an easy (but nutritious!) lunch or dinner, look no further than this low carb shredded chicken taco bowl. It’s incredibly filling thanks to the protein and fiber content, and best of all, it’s so easy to make in bulk for meal preps or even simple get-togethers with the family.
How to Make a Shredded Chicken Taco Bowl
You’re going to start out by slow cooking the chicken. This is the part that takes the most time, but it’s also very straightforward:
- Season. Season the chicken to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Add ingredients to the slow cooker. Add the chicken breasts, homemade enchilada sauce, chopped onion, and diced green chiles to a slow cooker.
- Slow cook. Cover the slow cooker with a lid and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- Shred. Shred the chicken with two forks.
- Stir. Stir to combine.
- Prepare for serving. Divide the shredded cabbage between 4 serving bowls.
- Top. Top the cabbage base with the shredded chicken and your favorite toppings, such as tomato salsa, sliced avocado, shredded Cheddar cheese, or sliced red chili.
- Serve. Serve immediately.
What to Serve with This Shredded Chicken Taco Bowl
Here are a few of our top suggestions for keto approved options to serve with this shredded chicken taco bowl:
- Green salads
- Corn salads
- Southwest orzo salads
- Mexican cauliflower rice
- Black bean soup
2 Tips for Making The Best Shredded Chicken Taco Bowl
Here are some of our top tips to keep in mind when making this recipe. They might just make your life a little bit easier if you’re having trouble making your taco bowls.
- Switch up the main veg for variety. If you’d rather not use shredded cabbage for your taco bowls, you can easily use lettuce, broccoli slaw, spinach, arugula, or any leafy green of your choice. Pre-washed greens also help save time.
- Use smaller pieces of chicken. To help you achieve that shredded chicken result, you’re going to want very, very tender chicken. Sometimes when you use large pieces of chicken, it may take more time than usual to become tender. Try slicing them into smaller pieces before putting them in the slow cooker.
Will This Recipe Work with Other Proteins?
You can absolutely use another protein source besides chicken when making this taco bowl recipe. Here are some other great recommendations that you can swap in:
- Fish (tilapia, etc.)
(You may also like: Ground Beef Keto Taco Salad)
Low Carb Shredded Chicken Taco Bowl with Shredded Cabbage
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours, 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or light olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 3/4 cup homemade enchilada sauce
- ½ small onion chopped
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
- salt and black pepper to taste
For the base:
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
For the topping (optional)
- tomato salsa
- sliced avocado
- shredded Cheddar cheese
- sliced red chili
- Season the chicken with salt and black pepper.
- Add the chicken, enchilada sauce, chopped onion, diced green chilies to a slow cooker.
- Cover with a lid and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- Shred the chicken with two forks and stir to combine.
- Divide the shredded cabbage between serving bowls.
- Top with shredded chicken and your favorite toppings (tomato salsa, sliced avocado, Cheddar cheese etc) and serve.