These sausage and cheese keto stuffed mushrooms are a complete hit each and every time I serve them as an appetizer when I have friends and family over. They’re super easy to make and absolutely jam packed full of nutritious goodness.
How to Make Keto Stuffed Mushrooms
Making your own tasty stuffed mushrooms requires just a bit of prep time. Here’s the recipe:
- Preheat the oven. Preheat your oven to 400℉.
- Cook the sausage. Add the Italian sausage (casings removed) to a nonstick skillet and cooker over medium heat until it’s no longer pink.
- Drain. Drain the excess fat.
- Add the cheese. Add the cream cheese and ¼ cup of shredded cheddar cheese and stir to combine.
- Stuff. Stuff the mushrooms with the sausage and cream cheese mixture.
- Top. Top with the remaining shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 20-25 minutes.
- Serve. Serve warm.
The Top 3 Types of Mushrooms to Use When Making Stuffed Mushrooms
When making keto stuffed mushrooms, you’re going to want to use larger varieties of mushrooms in order to make your life easier. With that in mind, here are our top recommendations for mushroom types to use:
- Portobello mushrooms
- White button mushrooms
- King oyster mushrooms
How to Prep the Mushrooms
Here’s what you need to know when it comes to prepping your mushrooms for stuffing:
- Wash the mushrooms. Thoroughly wash your mushrooms under cold running water.
- Dry. Pat dry the mushrooms with a piece of paper towel.
- Remove the stems. Remove the stems from your mushrooms.
- Arrange the caps. Arrange the mushroom caps evenly on a baking sheet until you’re ready to stuff them.
Can I Freeze Keto Stuffed Mushrooms?
You’ll be able to easily freeze these keto stuffed mushrooms, but there’s one small catch: you’ll want to freeze them before you bake them.
The reason for this is once you bake the mushrooms and freeze them, they’re going to end up losing most of their texture when you thaw them out, leaving you with one messy meal indeed.
If you’re planning on freezing the mushrooms, you can go ahead and do all of the prep work required to make the recipe and then flash freeze them on a baking sheet. You can then transfer the mushrooms into an airtight container and keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
(You may also like: Homemade Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup)
Sausage and Cheese Keto Stuffed Mushrooms
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- ½ pound Italian sausage, case removed
- ½ cup cream cheese
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 16 ounces of large mushrooms, washed and stems removed
- salt and black pepper to taste
- chopped fresh chives, for decoration (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Add the sausage in a nonstick skillet and cook over medium heat until no longer pink.
- Drain the fat.
- Add the cream cheese and ¼ cup of shredded Cheddar cheese and stir to combine.
- Stuff the mushroom with the sausage cream cheese mixture.
- Top with remaining Cheddar cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.