Keto snickerdoodle mug cake just might be the best kind of mug cake because it’s super quick and easy to make from scratch and the best part of all is it’s 100% keto-friendly. Nothing like a nutritious dessert in less then 2 minutes, I’d say.
How to Make a Keto Snickerdoodle Mug Cake
Making a quick and easy microwave mug cake is one of my favorite ways to satisfy my sweet tooth while on the keto diet. Here’s how I make it:
- Prepare the topping. Add the ground cinnamon and a low carb sweetener like Stevia to a small bowl. You can use a liquid or powdered sweetener for this recipe. Mix to combine and set aside.
- Prepare the dry ingredients. Add the almond flour and baking powder to a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Prepare the wet ingredients. Add the egg, heavy cream (or milk of your choice), and sweetener to a microwave-safe mug and whisk to combine.
- Combine the wet and dry mixtures in a bowl. Add the almond flour mixture into the egg mixture and mix to combine.
- Sprinkle the mug cake with the cinnamon topping. I like to use ceylon cinnamon for this recipe.
- Microwave. Microwave on high for 90 seconds or until the cake is just firm to the touch and has a toothpick inserted into the center come out clean.
- Serve. Serve the mug cake warm.
2 Quick Tips for Cooking Mug Cakes in the Microwave
It goes without saying that cooking a mug cake is quite unlike cooking a regular cake. In order to help you nail your future mug cakes, keep these quick tips in mind:
- Go easy on the baking powder. Make sure that you’re using the exact amount of baking powder called for in the recipe that you’re making. Since you’ll be working with such a small batter amount to make a single serving mug cake, it’s absolutely essential that you use just enough baking powder to allow the ideal amount of air.
- Eggs can be optional. While this particular recipe uses a single egg, I have found that sometimes I can end up with a better mug cake texture if I omit the eggs entirely. If I’m making a mug cake with no eggs though, I make sure to use another ingredient that will help to give the finished product a more moist texture. Peanut butter actually works wonders for this!
Are Mug Cakes Keto-Friendly?
Just like you can make regular cakes that are both keto and non-keto, so too can you make mug cakes that are either keto-friendly or not.
This specific recipe is 100% keto-friendly since it uses nothing but keto approved baking ingredients like almond flour, Stevia, etc.
To put it in perspective, any mug cake recipe you come across that uses more traditional baking ingredients like all purpose flour, refined sugar, and so on will most likely be non-keto. If you’re ever in doubt, just pay attention to the ingredients.
Keto-Friendly Mug Toppings
You can make your keto mug cakes even more decadent by adding these keto approved toppings:
- Cream cheese frosting spread
- Whipped cream and fresh berries
- Chopped nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts, etc.)
More Good Keto Mug Cake Recipes:
- Blueberry Lemon Mug Cake
- Chocolate Mug Cake Mix
- Coconut Flour Mug Cake
- Bulletproof Coffee Mug Cake
- Flourless Peanut Butter Mug Cake
Quick Keto Snickerdoodle Mug Cake (Holy moly this is good!)
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 90 seconds
- Total Time: 2 minutes, 30 seconds
For the cake:
- 5 tbsp almond flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp granulated Stevia or other low carb granulated sweetener
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp heavy cream or milk of choice
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
For the topping:
- 2 tsp granulated Stevia or other low carb granulated sweetener
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- To make the topping, in a small bowl combine the cinnamon and sweetener. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the almond flour and baking powder.
- Add the egg, heavy cream and sweetener to a microwave-safe mug and whisk to combine.
- Add the almond flour mixture and mix to combine.
- Sprinkle the cake with the topping.
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds or until just firm to touch and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm.