Homemade 30-Minute Keto Sloppy Joes with Cloud Buns
These homemade keto sloppy joes are easy to make, perfect for leftovers and makes a great classic meal your family will love. I’ll also show you how to make your own keto-friendly cloud buns (or just use your favorite low carb buns with this sloppy joe filling recipe).
What Exactly Are Cloud Buns?
Cloud buns are simply buns that are cooked in such a way so that they turn out fluffy and airy. It’s most often used as a low carb bread replacement when making keto friendly recipes, like this particular one for making keto sloppy joes.
How to Make Low Carb Cloud Buns
The first thing you’ll want to do when making this recipe is bake your low carb cloud buns:
- Preheat the oven. Preheat your oven to 350℉ and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set the baking sheet aside.
- Whisk. Use the bowl of a stand mixer that has been fitted with the whisk attachment and add the cream of tartar, egg whites, and a pinch of salt. Whisk until stiff peaks form. To check if you have stiff peaks, you can carefully flip the bowl upside down.
- Combine the remaining ingredients. Use a separate bowl to whisk together the cream cheese, egg yolks, baking powder, and salt.
- Fold in the egg white mixture. Whisk until smooth and then gently fold the egg white mixture into this new egg yolk mixture, working in batches and being careful not to overmix.
- Bake. Dollop the mixture onto your prepared baking sheet and bake in the middle of the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
How to Make Homemade Keto Sloppy Joes
While your cloud buns are baking in the oven is the perfect time to start making your keto sloppy joes:
- Cook. In a large skillet with some olive oil, saute the bell pepper, onion, and lean ground beef. Cook until your veggies are tender and the beef is no longer pink. Then add the tomato paste, sweetener, beef broth, and Dijon mustard. Stir to combine.
- Simmer. Leave the mixture to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Make sure to season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve. Serve on cloud buns along with your favorite toppings.
Tips for Making Fluffy Cloud Buns
Here are a few handy tips for you to keep in mind when making your cloud buns to make sure that they turn out light and fluffy:
- Whisk thoroughly. Make sure that you’re whisking your egg whites and cream of tartar thoroughly. Don’t stop until you see visible stiff peaks forming in the mixture.
- Make a smooth mixture. You also want to make sure that your cream cheese mixture is whisked until it’s completely smooth.
- Don’t overcook. Keep an eye on the cloud buns as they bake; they don’t necessarily need 15 minutes in some ovens. As soon as you notice them turning golden brown, they’re most likely done.
Keto Sloppy Joes Meat Alternatives
Yes, it’s possible to use other types of ground meat to make keto sloppy joes.
You can use any of the following types of ground meat as a ground beef substitute when making this recipe and still get great results:
- Ground turkey
- Ground pork
- Ground chicken
Can Sloppy Joes Be Frozen?
If you’re planning on making and freezing a batch of sloppy joes to enjoy as leftovers, you’ll be happy to know that you can indeed freeze the sloppy joes that this recipe makes.
Before freezing them, you’ll first want to cool them off completely and then place them in airtight freezer bags. When you place them in your freezer, be sure to lay them flat and stack them on top of one another. You can expect your sloppy joes to last between 3-6 months when frozen, depending on the ingredients that you make them with.
How to Make More Sauce for Keto Sloppy Joes Leftovers
Have some sloppy joes left over but you’re running low on the sauce? Not to worry, you can simply whip up a brand new batch of sauce in no time at all.
You can simply follow the exact same recipe instructions listed on this page to simply make more of the same sloppy joes sauce using ingredients like beef broth, tomato paste, and Dijon mustard, added to your beef.
Why Did My Sloppy Joes Turn Out Watery?
The most common reason for sloppy joes turning out to be too watery is that you’re using too much of the liquid ingredients (like beef broth) when making them. Try to take out a tablespoon or two of whatever liquid ingredients that you’re using the next time that you make them and see if your sloppy joes turn out better.
If that doesn’t fix the issue, you could try adding in a keto friendly flour like almond flour or coconut flour to try and thicken up the sauce mixture a little bit. You could also use cornstarch for the same purpose. Just remember to be mindful of your total daily carb intake if you go with cornstarch! You won’t need much, so it shouldn’t be a problem.
(You may also like: Keto Egg Salad Sandwich with 90 Second Bread)
Homemade 30-Minute Keto Sloppy Joes with Cloud Buns
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
FREE KETO RECIPES + 5-INGREDIENT KETO COOKBOOKMake sure to sign up for free to get instant access to the 5-Ingredient Keto Cookbook, which includes my favorite 20+ keto recipes of all-time, all under 5 ingredients.
View All the 5-Ingredient Keto Cookbook Recipes
For the Sloppy Joes:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tsp granulated Stevia or other low carb granulated sweetener to taste
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup beef broth
- salt, black pepper to taste
For the Cloud Buns:
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 tbsp cream cheese
- 1⁄4 tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- salt to taste
- To make the cloud buns, preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment place the egg whites, cream of tartar and pinch of salt.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Place the egg yolks, cream cheese, salt and baking powder in another bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture, working in batches. Do not overmix.
- Carefully dollop the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, make the sloppy joes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the onion, bell pepper and beef and cook until the beef is no longer pink and the veggies are tender.
- Add the tomato paste, mustard, sweetener and broth and stir to combine.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the sauce is thick.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve on cloud buns with your favorite toppings.
Ask a Question Rate this Recipe