When it comes to absolutely mouthwatering keto seafood recipes, this garlic butter keto shrimp and grits immediately comes to mind. It teaches you how to make soulful, cheesy grits completely from scratch, which you’ll then pair with some juicy Cajun shrimp smothered in the most flavorful garlic butter sauce.
How to Make Keto Grits
Whenever I make this recipe, the very first thing that I like to do is prepare the keto-friendly grits first:
- Boil. Add the cauliflower florets to a large pot and cover them with water before bringing to a boil over high heat.
- Simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer the florets for approximately 5-7 minutes (or until fork tender).
- Drain. Drain well and return the cauliflower to the pot.
- Mash. Add the butter, shredded Cheddar cheese, and cream cheese and mash the mixture until it resembles the texture of grits.
- Season. Season with salt to taste and set aside for now.
How to Make Keto Shrimp and Garlic Butter Sauce
Once you’re done preparing your grits, you’ll be all set to turn your attention towards preparing the shrimp and the yummy garlic butter sauce.
- Toss. Add the cleaned, peeled and deveined shrimp to a bowl with the Cajun seasoning and toss to coat.
- Melt the butter. Melt the butter over high heat in a large, non-stick skillet.
- Cook the shrimp. Add the shrimps and cook for 3-4 minutes (or until pink).
- Cook the garlic. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Make sure not to overcook the garlic as it will turn bitter.
- Add cream. Add the heavy cream and stir the mixture until it forms a creamy sauce.
- Season. Remove the mixture from the heat and season with salt to taste.
- Finish it off. Divide the grits between serving plates and top with the shrimps and garlic butter sauce.
- Garnish. Sprinkle sliced green onions over top of the shrimp and grits.
- Serve. Serve immediately.
How to Clean Shrimp
Before you make this recipe, it’s important to take a few minutes to make sure that you’re properly cleaning and deveining your shrimp. If you’re not sure what you should be doing, you can simply follow these step-by-step instructions to clean your shrimp:
- Gently remove the tail and legs from the shrimp.
- Use a knife to make a small incision from the top of each shrimp all the way down to the tail.
- Use the tip of the knife to carefully remove the vein from the incision.
- Discard the shell and vein.
- Rinse and drain the shrimp.
- Thoroughly dry the shrimp with a paper towel before cooking.
(Learn more: Is Shrimp Keto-friendly?)
Can I Freeze The Keto Shrimp and Grits for Later?
You can definitely freeze this keto shrimp and grits for later. Just make sure that you’re freezing the grits separately from the shrimp.
Once both the grits and shrimp have cooled off completely, you can add each of them into their own separate airtight containers. You’ll be able to keep them frozen for up to 2-3 months when stored like this.
(You may also like: Shrimp Alfredo Keto Pasta)
Keto Shrimp and Grits
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
For the shrimps:
- 1 pound deveined, peeled shrimp
- 1 tbsp homemade Cajun seasoning
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- salt to taste
For the grits:
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Place the cauliflower into a large pot and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until fork-tender
- Drain well and return the cauliflower to the pot.
- Add the butter, Cheddar cheese and cream cheese and mash until it resembles the texture of grits.
- Season to taste with salt and set aside.
- Add the shrimps and Cajun seasoning to a bowl and toss to coat.
- In a skillet melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the shrimps and cook for 3-4 minutes or until pink.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the heavy cream and stir to form the creamy sauce.
- Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt.
- Divide the grits between serving plates.
- Top with shrimps and sauce.
- Sprinkle with green onion and serve.