Make your own mouthwateringly good keto salmon cake patties by following this recipe below. I’ve been making salmon patties for so long now and they always hit the spot (and are so, so good for you). Here’s how to make them.
How to Make Salmon Cake Patties
- Process the salmon. First step is to add some flavor to your salmon. We do this using minced onion and minced parsley. Pulse together with your salmon.
- Add more flavoring. Add in both lemon zest and lemon juice. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Prepare the patty coating. For the coating, I use egg and approximately one cup of almond flour in with salmon mixture. Mix until well combined. Add remaining almond flour to a shallow dish and set to the side.
- Make the salmon cakes. Each cake is approximately ¼ scoop of the salmon mixture. Gently form a patty cake and coat it with almond flour before setting aside. Repeat for the remaining salmon mixture.
- Cook. Work in 2 batches and cook each of your salmon cakes in some olive oil over medium to high heat. It takes about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Serve. Serve the salmon cakes warm with avocado lime dressing.
How to Make Homemade Avocado Lime Dressing
Pair your salmon cakes with this tangy avocado lime dressing for one irresistible combination.
- Mash the avocado. Use a fork to mash the avocado flesh in a small bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Add the mayonnaise, lime juice, chopped parsley, and minced garlic. Mix until well combined.
- Season. Season to taste with salt.
- Refrigerate. Cover the dressing with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve with salmon cakes.
Can I Use Canned Salmon When Making Salmon Cakes?
I love making this recipe using fresh salmon but it’s unfortunately not always available at my local grocery store.
If you find yourself unable to use fresh salmon as well, then you can simply replace it with canned salmon when making this recipe and the cakes will still turn out great.
Canned salmon is usually a lot more affordable than freshly caught salmon, which is another reason it could be ideal for making this recipe. Try to find wild-caught salmon if you’re using the canned variety.
Why Are My Salmon Patties Falling Apart?
This means that your salmon mixture is too dry. Egg and starch (almond flour, in this case) act as the binders in this recipe. If your patties still continue to crumble when you cook it, you might want to add another egg to the mixture or refrigerate the patties first before frying.
How Do I Know When the Salmon Patties Are Done Cooking?
It’s recommended that you cook salmon until it reaches an internal temperature of 145℉. Giving each salmon cake 4-5 minutes of cooking time per side should be more than enough cooking time.
Can I Make These Salmon Cakes Ahead?
You can absolutely make these salmon cakes ahead of time. As a matter of fact, I regularly do just that because they’re such a great source of omega-3 fatty acids.
The salmon cakes will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days and will last even longer when frozen (up to 3 months).
If your salmon patties crumble on your first try, don’t worry because I’ve been there, and they still turn out delicious! You can always tweak the finer details later on.
Can I Freeze Salmon Cakes? How Long Are They Good For?
These salmon cakes can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, and can keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. I usually make big batches and store in the freezer for future use because they’re delicious and so good for you. If you have a hard time consuming enough seafood or omega-3s, salmon is a must-have.
(You may also like: Bacon-Wrapped Salmon Bites with Creamy Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce)
Keto Salmon Cakes with Avocado Lime Dressing (Yum!)
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
For the salmon cakes:
- 1 ¼ pound salmon, skin removed and diced
- ½ small onion, minced
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, minced
- zest and juice from ½ lemon
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups almond flour
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- oil for frying
For the avocado lime dressing:
- 1 medium avocado
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt to taste
- To make the dressing, mash the avocado flesh with a fork.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix to combine.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate while making the salmon cakes.
- To make the salmon cakes, in a food processor add the salmon, onion and parsley and pulse several times to combine.
- Remove the blade from the food processor or transfer the mixture in a large bowl.
- Add the lemon zest and juice.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Add egg and 1 cup of almond flour and mix until combined.
- Add the remaining almond flour to shallow bowl and set aside.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, take a scoop of the salmon mixture and drop it into the almond flour.
- Gently form a patty.
- Coat the patty in almond flour then set aside.
- Repeat this for the remaining salmon mixture.
- Heat the oil in a large non stick pan over medium high heat.
- Working in 2 batches, cook the salmon patties 4-5 minutes per side.
- Serve warm with avocado lime dressing.