Soft pretzels have quickly become one of my favorite snacks to have on my keto diet because it goes so well with a lot of my keto dipping sauce recipes and because you can make them low carb! Here’s how I make homemade keto soft pretzels with the best cheese dipping sauce.
How to Make Keto Soft Pretzels
- Activate the yeast. In a bowl, combine your dry yeast and warm water. Set this aside.
- Microwave your cheeses. Microwave your mozzarella and cream cheese on high, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Once the cheese is smooth, take it out of the microwave and add in the almond flour, eggs, xanthan gum, yeast mixture and salt.
- Cover and refrigerate. Cover the dough and refrigerate for about 15 to 20 minutes. Tip: Once the dough is not sticky anymore, it’s ready. You can check it from time to time.
- Prepare the baking soda wash. In a sauce pan, dissolve the baking soda in water. Set aside.
- Divide your dough. Divide your dough into 11 portions and form them into balls.
- Roll out the ball of dough until it’s long and skinny.
- Form the pretzels. Once the dough is long enough, twist it into a pretzel shape.
- Place the pretzels on baking sheet. Line yor baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- Brush with baking soda mixture. Lightly brush the baking soda mixture onto the pretzels.
- Rest. Let the pretzels rest for 30 minutes.
- Brush and sprinkle. Brush some melted butter over the rested pretzels and sprinkle over the top with pretzel salt.
- Bake. Bake for abou 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown!
How to Make the Best Keto Cheese Dipping Sauce
A fantastic dipping sauce is key to the whole pretzel-eating experience, and this cheese dipping sauce happens to be one of my tried and tested recipes, so you’re in luck. Here’s how I make it:
- Melt the ingredients. In a sauce pan, melt your heavy cream, butter and cream cheese until smooth. Remove from the heat.
- Add cheddar cheese. Once the sauce pan is off the heat, add in the cheddar cheese. The residual heat should melt the cheddar cheese.
- Season. Season with some salt and pepper.
Can You Freeze These Low Carb Pretzels?
Yes! You can freeze these pretzels for later as a quick breakfast or snack. I recommend letting them cool completely after baking and then wrapping them in some freezer-safe wrap or foil.
Store in an air-tight container to preserve freshness and prevent them from drying out.
Can You Toast These Pretzels?
Absolutely! What I can’t get enough of these pretzels is how it’s so keto-friendly but behaves like it’s carb-laden counterpart.
I love toasting these pretzels to get them soft again, especially after I’ve stored them in the refrigerator or freezer. Once they’ve been reheated in the toaster oven, they’re good as new!
Other Dipping Sauces to Try with Soft Keto-friendly Pretzels
Giant (And Chewy) Keto Soft Pretzels with Cheese Dipping Sauce
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 11 1x
For the pretzels:
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp dried yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tbsp pretzel salt
For the sauce:
- 6 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp mustard
- 3 oz shredded Cheddar cheese
- salt and black pepper to taste
- In a small glass or bowl combine the warm water and dry yeast. Set aside.
- Place the mozzarella and cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high.
- Stir every 30 seconds until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Add the eggs and mix to combine.
- Add in the almond flour, xanthan gum, yeast mixture and salt to taste and mix to combine.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate the dough for 15-20 minutes or until it’s not too sticky to work with.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small saucepan add the ½ cup of water and baking soda.
- Cook over medium heat until the baking soda has dissolved.
- Divide the dough into 11 balls.
- Roll each ball into a long skinny log and twist into a pretzel shape.
- Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the pretzels with baking soda mixture.
- Let the pretzels rest for 30 minutes.
- Brush the pretzels with the melted butter and sprinkle with pretzel salt.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- To make the sauce, add the heavy cream, butter and cream cheese to a small saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat until melted.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add the Cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve immediately with pretzels.