Just when you thought keto dieting couldn’t get any better, in comes this recipe for keto strawberry pop tarts. You’ll be making these pop tarts completely from scratch, which makes sure they stay low carb and 100% keto-friendly.
How to Make a Keto Strawberry Jam Filling
The first thing that I like to do whenever I make this recipe is prepare the strawberry jam filling. Once it’s done, you can set it aside and focus on the rest of the recipe.
- Boil. Add either frozen or fresh strawberries, a low carb granulated sweetener like Stevia, and lemon juice to a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add the chia seeds. Reduce the heat and stir in the chia seeds.
- Simmer. Leave the jam to simmer, stirring frequently, until it has thickened to your liking.
- Cool. Remove the jam from the heat and set aside to allow it to cool completely.
How to Make Keto Pop Tart Dough
After making the strawberry jam filling, the next thing you’ll need to do is prepare the actual pop tart dough itself:
- Process the dry ingredients. Add the almond flour, coconut flour, and xanthan gum to a food processor and pulse a few times.
- Add more ingredients. Add the cream cheese, lemon zest, and butter and pulse a few times.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Add the egg and apple cider vinegar and pulse until the mixture forms a soft dough.
- Refrigerate. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of one hour.
- Form into pop tarts. Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces and then roll each piece of dough out between 2 pieces of parchment paper into a ¼ inch thick square. Cut each of these squares into 8 rectangles.
- Add the jam filling. Brush the lightly beaten egg wash over the edges of a rectangle of dough and then place 2 tsp of strawberry jam filling in the middle.
- Finish it off. Carefully place a second rectangle over top and gently but firmly press the edges down to seal.
- Repeat. Repeat the above steps until all of the dough is used up.
- Prepare for freezing. Cut the top piece of dough on each pop tart with a knife and then arrange the pop tarts on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Freeze. Freeze the pop tarts for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven. While the pop tarts are in the freezer, preheat your oven to 350℉.
- Brush. Remove the pop tarts from the oven and brush again with the egg wash.
- Bake. Bake the pop tarts in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
- Cool. Remove the pop tarts from the oven and allow it to cool completely.
How to Make the Homemade Pop Tart Glaze
While your pop tarts are cooling off after they come out of the oven, you can quickly whip up the homemade glaze in order to finish the recipe off.
- Combine the ingredients. Add the low carb powdered sweetener and unsweetened almond milk to a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Drizzle. Drizzle each pop tart with the glaze once they have cooled off.
- Serve. Serve the pop tarts immediately.
Can I Toast These Keto Pop Tarts?
You can toast these keto pop tarts after you initially freeze them, but in all honesty, I wouldn’t recommend it.
You’ll end up with far better results by following the recipe and baking your pop tarts in the oven.
Best Way to Store Keto Pop Tarts
I find that the best way to store your keto strawberry pop tarts is to freeze them until you’re ready to reheat them.
After you flash freeze them on the baking sheet with parchment paper, you can then add the pop tarts to an airtight container or a freezer-safe ziploc bag. You’ll be able to keep the pop tarts frozen like this for up to 3 months.
(You may also like: No Bake Strawberry Keto Cheesecake)
Homemade (And Low Carb) Keto Strawberry Pop Tarts
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
For the dough:
- 1 cup almond flour
- 5 tbsp coconut flour
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- 3 ½ oz butter, cold
- ¼ cup cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
For the filling:
- 8 oz frozen or fresh strawberries
- 2 tbsp granulated Stevia or other low carb granulated sweetener
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
For the glaze:
- ¼ cup low carb powdered sweetener
- 1–2 tsp unsweetened almond milk
For the egg wash:
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- To make the strawberry jam, add the strawberries, sweetener and lemon juice to a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat.
- Stir in the chia and simmer, stirring frequently, until the jam has thickened.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Set aside.
- To make the dough, add the almond flour, coconut flour and xanthan gum to a food processor and pulse a few times.
- Add the cream cheese, lemon zest and butter and pulse a few times.
- Add the egg and apple cider vinegar and pulse until soft dough forms.
- Wrap the dough into a plastic wrap and refrigerate for minimum one hour.
- Divide the dough into 2 pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough between two pieces of parchment paper into a 1/4 inches thick square.
- Cut each square into 8 rectangles.
- Brush the egg wash over the edges of a rectangle of dough and place 2 teaspoons of strawberry jam in the middle.
- Carefully place a second rectangle on top and press the edges to seal.
- Repeat until all the dough is used up.
- Cut the top dough with a knife.
- Arrange the pop tarts on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Freeze for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and brush the pop tarts with egg wash.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350ºF for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- To make the glaze, combine the powdered sweetener and almond milk.
- Drizzle each pop tart with the glaze and serve.