Pizza lovers rejoice because this recipe for making a soul-satisfying keto pizza bowl is the low carb pizza recipe that you’ve been searching for. Don’t be surprised if you find that this keto-friendly take on homemade pizza becomes your new go-to pizza recipe; it’s just that good!
How to Make a Keto Pizza Bowl
Making tasty keto pizza bowls is quite easy when you know what to do; simply follow the recipe steps below:
- Prepare the cooking skillet. Add the olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Cook the sausage. Add the sausage and cook through.
- Cook the mushrooms. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5-8 minutes or until the vegetables are soft (and any excess moisture has evaporated).
- Remove. Remove the mixture from the heat.
- Prepare the pizza bowl base. In each microwave-safe (or oven-safe) bowl, add a small amount of sugar-free pizza sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Add the sausage and mushrooms. Divide the sausage and mushrooms between the bowls.
- Finish them off. Top the pizza bowls with the remaining pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, and mini pepperoni slices.
- Cook. You can either microwave the pizza bowls or place them in the oven on broil until the cheese has melted.
- (Optional) Garnish. Top with fresh basil leaves if using.
- Serve. Serve warm.
Keto Pizza Bowl Toppings
The recipe instructions above make an admittedly rather bare bones pepperoni pizza bowl. While there’s nothing wrong with a classic pepperoni pizza, if you’re feeling a little bit more adventurous, here are some other great ideas for keto approved toppings that you can add to this pizza bowl recipe:
- Different types of cheese (Parmesan, feta, etc.)
- Italian sausage
- Low carb veggies (bell peppers, onion, olives, etc.)
Can I Freeze Keto Pizza Bowl?
Yes, you can freeze this keto pizza bowl. You can actually freeze it either before or after you cook it; although I usually like to freeze it afterwards.
If you do end up cooking the pizza bowl first, you’ll of course want to make sure that you allow it to cool completely before you freeze it. You can then transfer the bowl into an airtight container and store it in the freezer.
Your pizza bowl should keep for up to 2-3 months.
Best Way to Reheat a Keto Pizza Bowl
When you’re ready to reheat your frozen pizza bowl, I find that it’s best to simply fire it back in the microwave for 30-second intervals until it’s heated through. Alternatively, you can also once again use the oven on broil.
(You may also like: Crustless Skillet Pizza)
Soul-Satisfying Keto Pizza Bowl
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 pound beef sausage, casing removed
- ½ pound mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup mini Pepperoni
- 2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups sugar-free pizza sauce
- fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add the sausage and cook through.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 5-8 minutes or until vegetables are soft and any excess moisture has evaporated.
- Remove from the heat.
- In each microwave-safe/oven-safe bowl add small amount of pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Divide the sausage between the bowls.
- Top with remanning pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese and mini Pepperoni.
- Microwave or place in oven on broil until cheese has melted.
- Top with fresh basil (if using) and serve.