Pigs in a blanket has to be one of my all-time faves because it’s effortlessly keto and it’s such a fun recipe to make and decorate. This keto pigs in a blanket recipe also includes a creamy (and crave-worthy) cheese sauce that’s versatile enough to be used on other dishes (because everything is better with cheese!), so you’re getting two great elements in one.
How to Make Keto Pigs in a Blanket
- Make the dough. Activate your yeast and set aside, Add in your mozzarella and cream cheese, then your egg, almond flour, xanthan gum, yeast mixture, melted butter and salt.
- Cover and refrigerate the dough. This will make it easier to roll out.
- Roll out to ¼ inch thick. You can use a rolling pin or put the dough between two pieces of parchment paper and flatten by hand.
- Divide the dough. This recipe makes about 8 strips.
- Assemble the pigs in a blanket. Wrap the dough around each individual hot dog.
- Brush with egg wash. Optional: sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake. About 20-25 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit should do the trick.
- Make the cheese sauce. Directions for the cheese are below–it’s so easy!
How to Make Cheese Dipping Sauce
This low-carb cheese sauce uses three kinds of cheese– cream cheese, Gruyere and cheddar cheese. Here’s how to make it:
- Combine the liquid ingredients. These are your heavy cream, butter and cream cheese.
- Heat. Heat and mix these until everything is melted and well-incorporated. Take it off the heat once done.
- Add the rest of the cheese. Once you’ve taken it off the heat, add in your Gruyere and cheddar cheese until melted.
- Season. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
7 Best Keto-friendly Hot Dogs for Pigs in a Blanket
- Whole Foods Organic Uncured Beef Hot Dogs
- Applegate Naturals Beef Hotdog
- Hebrew National All Natural Beef Franks
- Niman Ranch Beef Franks
- Nathan’s Jumbo Restaurant Style Beef Franks
- Nathan’s Skinless Beef Franks
- Oscar Mayer Classic Beef Uncured Franks
(You may also like: Chili Dog Keto Casserole)
Buttery Keto Pigs in a Blanket with Creamy Cheese Dipping Sauce
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
For the pigs in the blanket:
- 8 hot dogs
- 1 ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 oz cream cheese
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp warm water
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (optional)
For egg wash:
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
For the sauce:
- 6 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 oz shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 oz shredded Gruyere cheese
- salt and black pepper to taste
- In a small glass or bowl combine the warm water and dry yeast. Set aside.
- Place the mozzarella and cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high.
- Stir every 30 seconds until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Add the egg and mix to combine.
- Add in the almond flour, xanthan gum, yeast mixture, melted butter and salt to taste and mix to combine.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough until easy to roll out.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the dough between two pieces of parchment paper and roll out to 1/4″ thick.
- Remove the top piece of parchment paper.
- Slice the dough into 8 strips.
- Wrap the dough around the hot dogs, overlapping slightly.
- Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds (if using).
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- To make the sauce, add the heavy cream, butter and cream cheese to a small saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat until melted.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add the Cheddar and Gruyere cheese and stir until melted.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve immediately with pigs in blanket.
More Kid-friendly (And Easy) Keto Snack and Lunch Recipes
Keto Grilled Cheese Sandwich with 90 Second Bread – Here’s a mean grilled cheese sandwich without the bread, and the kids will never even know the difference–that’s how good it is!
5-Ingredient Keto Chocolate Pudding – It only takes 5 minutes to whip up this recipe, but it’s everything you’d want in a rich, chocolate dessert.
Baked Keto Chicken Tenders – You just can’t beat the delightful crunch of these juicy chicken tenders.
Keto Garlic Breadsticks – You’ve been warned– these chewy, low-carb breadsticks are absolutely addictive thanks to my signature garlic topping.
Keto Mozzarella Sticks – Prepare a big batch and be ready to pop these in the air fryer anytime because I can guarantee these molten mozzarella sticks are going to be a crowd-favorite.
Mini Keto Chicken Pot Pies – These chicken pot pies are everything you’d want in a pie–full of generous filling, loaded with nutritious ingredients, and with the perfect puff pastry exterior.