The Best Keto Pasta Carbonara with Low Carb Homemade Pasta
If you had told me when I first started the keto diet that I would still be able to enjoy a delicious homemade pasta carbonara dish, I would have looked at you as if you had two heads. That was before I discovered homemade keto pasta, though. I’m definitely a convert now because nothing feels better than having your favorite foods while still staying within your dietary guidelines. If you enjoy pasta even a little bit, you’re going to want to make this carbonara recipe folks.
How to Make Homemade Keto Pasta
Making your own low carb keto pasta noodles is both quick and easy. Here’s my go-to recipe for making noodles in a hurry when I’m craving a pasta dinner:
- Process the dry ingredients. Add almond flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, and salt to a food processor. Pulse to combine.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients. Add in the apple cider vinegar, egg, and water, a tablespoon at a time, until the dough forms into a ball.
- Refrigerate. Wrap your dough with cling film and store in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Roll out the dough. When ready to use, roll out the dough until it’s about ⅙” thick.
- Cut into thin spaghetti.
- Cook. Melt butter in a skillet and cook pasta noodles with carbonara sauce, tossing to combine everything.
- Finish it off. Remove from the heat and quickly pour in the prepared egg mixture (see details below on how to prepare everything needed to finish off the carbonara sauce). Toss to coat.
- Serve. Sprinkle the pasta with extra grated Parmesan cheese and serve.
(Also try: Keto Alfredo Sauce)
How to Make Homemade Keto Carbonara Sauce
The reason this pasta dish turns out so well is because it features such an amazing homemade low carb carbonara sauce. Here’s exactly how to make it:
- Prepare the egg mixture. Lightly beat the eggs with the water and grated Parmesan cheese in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Prepare the pancetta. Fry the pancetta until crispy.
- Cook the pasta. Add butter to the same skillet and melt. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds before adding in the pasta noodles and cooking for 3-5 minutes, long enough for the noodles to gain some color.
- Add the pancetta and toss to combine.
- Finish it off. Add in the egg mixture and sprinkle with the extra grated Parmesan cheese.
Is There Anything Else That I Can Use For the Pasta Noodles?
If you would rather not use the DIY spaghetti noodles with this keto pasta carbonara, you still have a few viable options.
One of my favorite ways to make keto pasta is to use spiralized veggie noodles. Healthy, fibrous veggies like zucchini, sweet potatoes, turnips, parsnips, and more all make for fantastic pasta noodle alternatives.
If you would rather use veggie noodles yourself, then rest assured, all of the options that I mentioned above slot in perfectly with this keto pasta carbonara.
Other Good Keto Pasta Shapes/Types to Try
Why Are There Bits of Egg in My Carbonara?
For the egg mixture, make sure to only toss it in once you remove it from the heat. This will prevent it from forming into small egg bits in your pasta, while still heating it enough to be cooked.
Can I Freeze My Keto Pasta Carbonara for Later?
You can refrigerate this meal for 3-5 days if it’s stored in an air-tight container. You could also freeze this once it has completely cooled. I like making pasta because it’s easy to make in bulk, so with just a bit of prep and cook time, I can have lunch or dinner ready for a few days in advance at least.
3 Reasons Why These Low Carb Keto Noodles Are Better For Your Health
Making your own homemade keto pasta noodles like this is a great way to make sure your pasta dishes stay as low carb as possible, and they’re so beneficial for your health, too! Here’s why:
- Heart health. Using almond flour for making noodles is a great way to make pasta that’s heart healthy. It contains monounsaturated fats that have proven benefits for your cardiovascular system. (1)
- Weight management. While many people usually think of pasta and expanding waistlines, making low carb pasta noodles using coconut flour may actually help you to lose weight instead.
- Fiber content. Both almond flour and coconut flour are good sources of dietary fiber, which are good for improved digestion and more regular bowel movements.
Creamy Keto Pasta Carbonara with Low Carb Homemade Pasta
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
FREE KETO RECIPES + 5-INGREDIENT KETO COOKBOOKMake sure to sign up for free to get instant access to the 5-Ingredient Keto Cookbook, which includes my favorite 20+ keto recipes of all-time, all under 5 ingredients.
View All the 5-Ingredient Keto Cookbook Recipes
1 cup almond flour
3 tbsp coconut flour
2 tsp xanthan gum
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1–2 tsp water or as needed
3 oz pancetta
2 oz finely grated Parmesan cheese plus extra for serving
3 large eggs,
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tbsp unsalted butter
salt and black pepper to taste
- Add almond flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum and salt to food processor and pulse to combine.
- With the motor running, add the apple cider vinegar, egg and water, a tablespoon at a time, until the dough forms into a ball.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and refrigerate for minimum 2 hour (and up to 5 days).
- Roll out the dough between 2 parchment sheets until about 1/6” thick.
- Cut into thin spaghetti and set aside.
- Lightly beat 3 eggs, 2 tablespoons of warm water and Parmesan cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper and set aside.
- Fry the pancetta in a large heavy-bottomed skillet.
- Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the butter to the same skillet and melt over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the pasta and cook for 3-5 minutes or until it just begins to get some color.
- Add the pancetta and toss to combine.
- Remove from the heat and quickly pour in the egg mixture.
- Toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with extra grated Parmesan and serve.
There is fibre to deduct from the almond flour and coconut flour! Plus if powdered garlic is used…. Carbs will fall even more!