Lemon meringue cookies sound like they shouldn’t be allowed on a keto diet, but thanks to this recipe, you don’t ever have to miss out. Some helpful ingredient swaps keep everything low carb, so you can enjoy the light and airy texture of meringue cookies completely guilt-free.
How to Make Keto Lemon Meringue Cookies
Here’s everything that you’ll need to know in order to make your own keto-friendly lemon meringue cookies:
- Preheat the oven. Preheat your oven to 200℉.
- Prepare the baking sheet. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Prep the egg whites. Place 2 egg whites into a large bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and cream of tartar. Add the lemon juice and cream of tartar and beat on medium speed until foamy. Make sure to get cream of tartar for this recipe because there’s really no substitute for it.
- Add the sweetener. Gradually beat in a low carb granulated sweetener like Stevia.
- Beat the mixture. Continue beating the mixture on high speed until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Add the lemon zest. Add the lemon zest and beat to combine.
- Prepare the meringue. Transfer the meringue to a piping bag and pipe small meringues onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake. Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes (or until firm to the touch).
- Wait. Turn off the oven (but make sure that you do not open the oven door) and allow the meringues to sit for approximately one hour.
- Cool. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Serve. Serve or store the meringue cookies until ready to enjoy.
Are Meringue Cookies Keto?
Most meringue cookie recipes are typically not keto-friendly.
However, this particular recipe does indeed make meringue cookies that are 100% keto approved. They’re light and airy, low in total net carbs, and they work amazingly well for satisfying snacking cravings while on the keto diet.
Tips for Making Light and Airy Meringue Cookies
If you have been struggling to get the texture of your keto meringue cookies just right, then be sure to keep the following helpful tips in mind the next time that you make this recipe:
- Use fresh egg whites when making meringue (packaged egg whites typically don’t provide the best results).
- Make sure that you don’t accidentally allow any egg yolk to get into the egg white mixture.
- Make sure that your egg whites are at room temperature before starting to make these meringue cookies.
- Be wary of overmixing. You’re looking for stiff glossy peaks.
Best Way to Store Meringue Cookies
These keto meringue cookies are best stored in an airtight container. You should keep them stored at room temperature (a dark kitchen pantry works best) and they will keep for up to 5 days.
(You may also like: Melt In Your Mouth Keto Lemon Cookies)
Light As Air Lemon Meringue Cookies (Keto-friendly)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour,15 minutes
- Yield: 10 1x
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ tsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup granulated Stevia or other granulated low carb sweetener
- ½ tbsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 200ºF.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the egg whites in a large bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and cream of tartar and beat on medium speed until foamy.
- Gradually beat in sweetener.
- Continue beating on high spread until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Add the lemon zest and beat to combine.
- Transfer the meringue to a piping bag.
- Pipe small meringues onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 60 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Turn off the oven (do not open oven door) and leave meringues in oven 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Serve or store in an airtight container and keep in a dry place.