One of the best quick and easy recipes you can make as an alternative to coffee is this high energy keto matcha latte. It’s an incredibly tasty low carb drink that works great for giving you an all-natural boost of energy and alertness.
How to Make a Keto Matcha Latte
Here’s everything that you’ll need to know in order to make your own homemade keto matcha lattes:
- Prepare the matcha. Add the matcha powder to a bowl and add the boiling hot water.
- Whisk. Whisk the mixture until the matcha has a froth with tiny bubbles on the surface.
- Pour. Pour the matcha mixture into a glass.
- Add the sweetener. Add a low carb granulated sweetener like Stevia and mix to combine.
- Froth. Pour the unsweetened almond milk into a French press and place the lid on it. Then move the plunger up and down, being sure to hold the lid in place. Move the plunger like this until the almond milk doubles in volume.
- Pour. Pour the frothed almond milk over top of the matcha mixture.
- Serve. Serve immediately.
What is Matcha?
The definition for the word matcha means ‘fine powder tea’, and that’s exactly what it is. Matcha is a green powdered tea made from specially grown green tea leaves that traces its roots to East Asia (it’s a hugely popular staple for traditional Japanese tea ceremonies).
It’s widely known to be an antioxidant powerhouse as well, offering up even more antioxidative benefits for your health than traditional green tea.
Can I Use Green Tea Instead of Matcha Powder for this Latte Recipe?
You can certainly substitute green tea instead of matcha powder when making this keto latte recipe.
The only thing that you’ll have to keep in mind is that you’ll have to use more green tea as it’s not as potent as the matcha powder would be – you’ll only be getting around ¼ of the nutritional benefits from green tea as you would real matcha powder.
How Can I Up the Protein Content of Keto Matcha Latte?
One of the best (and easiest) ways to significantly increase the protein content of your keto matcha lattes is to simply mix in a single scoop of keto approved protein powder along with the matcha powder and hot water.
Another great option is to add in a scoop or two of collagen, which can provide you with a solid amount of protein, along with several other fantastic benefits.
(You may also like: Keto Pumpkin Spice Latte with Homemade Whipped Cream)
High Energy Keto Matcha Latte (Packed with Protein!)
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 2 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
- ½ cup boiling water
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 1/3 cup hot unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp granulated Stevia or other low carb sweetener to taste
- Place the matcha powder in a bowl.
- Add the water.
- Whisk until the matcha has a froth with tiny bubbles on the surface.
- Pour the matcha mixture in a glass.
- Add the sweetener and mix to combine.
- Pour the milk into a French press.
- Place lid on the French press and move the plunger up and down, making sure to hold down the lid.
- Move the plunger until the milk doubles in volume.
- Pour frothed milk into a cup.