Very few things bring me more joy in the kitchen than tasty keto recipes that are both super easy to make while simultaneously delivering big time when it comes to the finished product. Today I’ll be sharing a recipe that’s a perfect example of that with this incredible 5-ingredient sugar-free keto ketchup that to me, is so much better than regular ketchup.
How to Make Homemade Keto Ketchup from Scratch
You can make the best keto friendly burgers by using low carb condiments when making them. For me, a burger wouldn’t be complete without some ketchup! Here’s how I make mine:
- Combine the ingredients. For me, good sugar-free ketchup has just the right balance of sweet and tart flavors, and we achieve this using tomato paste, powdered sweetener, white wine vinegar, onion powder, garlic powder, water, and salt in a small saucepan.
- Simmer. Simmer until all the ingredients are combined well and it has thickened into a sauce. Use low heat so as not to burn the sauce.
- Season. Season with salt if needed.
- Serve. Serve warm immediately or refrigerate until you’re ready to serve.
Is Ketchup Keto?
While most store brand ketchups are definitely not keto-approved due to the fact they contain sugars, preservatives, and other hidden additives, this particular ketchup recipe is indeed 100% keto-approved.
The only two things that you’ll want to keep an eye on are to make sure that your powdered sweetener is indeed a low carb option and to double check the label on your white wine vinegar of choice. Not all of them are created equally and some contain higher carb amounts than others.
Homemade Sugar-Free Ketchup Tips
If you want to make sure that you end up with a perfect batch of keto friendly ketchup every time you make this recipe, then be sure to keep the following tips in mind:
- Don’t be afraid to add more salt. Since this recipe doesn’t contain any sugars or additives, don’t be afraid to add more salt into the mix in order to get the keto ketchup seasoned exactly to your liking.
- Use the right type of low carb sweetener. Following on from the point above, since you won’t be adding sugar into your ketchup, it’s important to choose a good low carb powdered sweetener to use. You also want to make sure that you’re actually using a powdered and not granulated sweetener so that your sugar-free ketchup doesn’t end up with an overly grainy texture.
- Add more water if the sauce is too thick. If you find that your keto ketchup is ending up a little too thick for your liking, just gradually add more water in and stir until you end up with a more ideal consistency.
- Don’t be afraid to mix it up a little. While you can follow this recipe exactly and end up with an amazing keto-friendly ketchup, don’t be afraid to mix things up a bit either by adding in your own preferred herbs and spices.
Can Keto Ketchup Be Frozen?
If you’re one of those people who very rarely makes any dishes that would use ketchup, then you’ll be happy to hear that you can most definitely throw this homemade ketchup in the freezer.
You can easily use something like a mason jar or any other type of airtight container to store your ketchup. It will easily stay good in the freezer for up to six months.
Another suggestion that I would make is to use ice cube trays. Spoon your sugar-free ketchup into the tray and that way, you can simply pop out just enough that you need each time that you need to thaw the ketchup out.
How Long Does This Low Carb Ketchup Stay Fresh?
As long as you’re following proper storage protocols, you can reasonably expect this ketchup to stay fresh in the fridge for up to three weeks.
You can also freeze the ketchup as mentioned above for up to six months.
Is Keto Ketchup Recipe Vegan-Friendly?
Yes, this specific keto ketchup recipe is indeed vegan friendly.
The only thing that you may want to keep an eye on is the type of white wine vinegar that you use. While most vinegars are 100% vegan friendly, there are a few brands out there that are actually made with certain additives from animal products. When in doubt, check the labels.
Can I Use Tomato Sauce Instead of Tomato Paste?
If you plan on making this keto ketchup recipe, then you’re definitely going to want to go with tomato paste instead of tomato sauce.
First and foremost, tomato paste is nothing more than concentrated tomato sauce. Not only that, but it also has a much thicker consistency than tomato sauce does, making it perfect for making recipes like this one.
(You may also like: 5-Minute Homemade Keto Pizza Sauce)
YUM-worthy 6-Ingredient Keto Ketchup (Low Carb)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 1 cup 1x
- 6 oz tomato paste
- ¼ cup Powdered low carb sweetener
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup water
- salt to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes or until the ketchup has thickened to your liking.
- Taste and add more salt if necessary.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.