Today’s recipe is going to teach you how to make the absolute best cheesy rutabaga keto hash browns you’ll ever try. These hash browns are the perfect low carb alternative to carb-heavy potato hash browns, complete with the amazing crunchy texture on the outside.
How to Make Cheesy Rutabaga Keto Hashbrowns
When making this recipe, you’ll first need to do a bit of prep work with your rutabaga before preparing the tasty cheese coating. Here’s how to make the hash browns:
- Microwave the rutabaga. Add 3 tablespoons of water and one pound of peeled rutabaga to a microwave safe bowl and cover with a lid. Microwave on high for 8 minutes.
- Cool. Remove from the microwave and allow to cool completely.
- Shred the rutabaga.
- Combine the ingredients. Add the shredded rutabaga, one large egg, and shredded Cheddar cheese to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Season. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Prepare the cooking skillet. Add the butter to a large cooking skillet and melt over medium heat.
- Cook. Scoop out ⅓ of the mixture into the pan and flatten to about a ½ inch thick layer. Cook for 5 minutes per side (or until nicely browned).
- Serve. Sprinkle with sliced green onion (optional) and serve.
What Exactly Are Rutabagas Anyway?
Surprisingly enough, rutabagas (and turnip as well) are actually members of the cabbage family of vegetables. As a matter of fact, rutabagas are technically considered to be a hybrid between cabbage and turnip.
In addition, when compared to turnip, rutabaga tends to have a much more distinctively sweet flavor. Rutabagas are also harvested while they’re large; on the other hand, turnip is harvested while it’s still rather small.
Can I Freeze Rutabaga Keto Hash Browns?
You can easily freeze any leftover rutabaga hash browns that you have on hand.
Before freezing your hash browns, you’ll first want to make sure that they have cooled off completely. I then like to flash freeze them by arranging them on a baking sheet and tossing them in the freezer so that they won’t stick together.
After flash freezing, simply transfer the hash browns into a heavy duty freezer-safe bag and you can then keep them frozen for up to 3-4 months.
(You may also like: Low Carb Rutabaga Keto French Fries)
Cheesy Rutabaga Keto Hash Browns (Low Carb)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 pound rutabaga, peeled
- 1 large egg
- 2 oz. shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- Place the rutabaga and 3 tablespoons of water in a microwave safe bowl.
- Cover with a lid.
- Microwave on high for 8 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool completely.
- Shred the rutabaga.
- In a bowl combine the shredded rutabaga, egg and Cheddar cheese.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Melt the butter in a skillet.
- Scoops out 1/3 cup mixture into the pan and flatten to a 1/2 inch thick layer.
- Cook for 5 minutes per side or until nicely browned.
- Sprinkle with sliced green onion (if using) and serve.