One of the things that makes shrimp one of my favorite foods of all time is the fact that there are just so many different ways to prepare it (and because it’s ridiculously healthy). This recipe will teach you exactly how to make my low carb shrimp dish of choice: cilantro lime grilled keto shrimp skewers!
How to Make Keto Shrimp Skewers
- Prep work. Before cooking your shrimp, make sure to peel and devein them.
- Add flavor. Toss your shrimp in a mixture of chopped cilantro, minced garlic, olive oil, and salt and black pepper for seasoning.
- Thread the shrimp. Thread your shrimp (and any other ingredients like lime slices) onto your skewers.
- Grill for 2 to 4 minutes per side. Use a medium heat and grill your shrimp just long enough for the shrimp to turn pink.
How to Make the Best Keto-friendly Cilantro Lime Marinade Ever
There’s certainly no shortage of great tasting marinades that you can pair with shrimp. One of the best tasting marinades that I’ve ever done for shrimp skewers is this cilantro lime option:
- Prepare your ingredients. Finely chop up the fresh cilantro, mince the garlic cloves, and slice up the limes.
- Toss to coat. Add the chopped cilantro and minced garlic into a bowl with a bit of olive oil and your prepared shrimp. Toss to coat.
- Marinate. After tossing the shrimp in your cilantro mixture, you can optionally leave it to marinate for a little while if you would like. On the other hand, the shrimp will still be ready to thread onto your skewers right away as soon as you’re done combining everything.
3 Top Tips for Cooking Shrimp
As with anything in the kitchen, there are a few common mistakes that I see many people make when it comes to cooking shrimp. To make sure you cook perfect shrimp every time, keep these tips in mind:
- Thaw your shrimp. You should never use a microwave for thawing out your shrimp. Instead, store them in the refrigerator overnight or seal them tightly in a bag and pour cold water over them for 5-10 minutes.
- Make sure to properly prep your shrimp. While it’s not technically 100% necessary to peel and devein shrimp, it’s still well worth your while to take the time to do so. If you don’t devein the shrimp, you could end up with a gritty tasting meal thanks to the leftover sand and mud left in the shrimp’s digestive tract.
- Don’t overcook the shrimp. It’s very quick to cook shrimp, especially when you’re grilling them on skewers. When in doubt, it’s better to play it safe than sorry and cook them for closer to two minutes.
Can Shrimp Skewers Be Frozen?
While freezing raw shrimp is the best way to maximize its quality and shelf life, you can also freeze your cooked shrimp skewers.
You’re going to want to chill your shrimp in the fridge for a little bit before freezing them. Use either a freezer safe bag or sealable container to avoid freezer burn.
(You may also like: Cheese Shell Keto Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Lime Sauce)
Cilantro Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers (Keto, Low Carb)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 large limes, sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Add the shrimp, chopped cilantro, minced garlic and olive oil to a bowl and toss to coat.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Thread the shrimp and lime slices onto skewers.
- Grill over medium heat until shrimp turn pink, 2-4 minutes per side.
- Serve immediately.
What to Serve with Your Keto Shrimp Skewers
- Keto Broccoli Salad with Bacon Bits – This is a great way to serve up a good amount of vegetables in one convenient dish. It comes complete with bacon, of course!
- Keto Coleslaw – This coleslaw recipe is, by far, my favorite because of the blend of ingredients and herbs, not to mention the crunch in each bite. Yum!
- Keto Cauliflower Rice – My ideal cauliflower rice texture is light and fluffy, and that’s exactly what you’ll get here. It pairs perfectly with the delicately sweet flavor of the shrimp.