My grandmother used to make the meanest green bean casserole dish that you’d ever try. Out of her rather large casserole recipe repertoire, the green bean casserole was one of her favorites, as she absolutely perfected it. While she’s sadly no longer with us today, I’m positive that she would approve of this classic keto green bean casserole recipe.
It adds a clever keto spin on her classic casserole, making use of some of my favorite keto ingredients like heavy cream, cheddar cheese, and of course, bacon. Everything that goes into making this keto casserole has been chosen for one of two reasons. It either adds more quality fats into the mix or it just makes it taste downright amazing.
How to Make Keto Green Bean Casserole
It’s only fitting that when making a green bean casserole that the first order of business would be getting your green beans ready. You can start by blanching them in a large pot of well salted boiling water for a few minutes before draining them and setting them aside.
While it’s true that blanching green beans causes them to lose some of their vitamin C content (1), they still provide some excellent cardiovascular benefits in a nice and tasty package thanks to their high polyphenolic antioxidant content. (2)
After getting the green beans ready, heat some olive oil over a medium heat and then cook your five slices of bacon in it. When making keto recipes, you should always be using olive oil (or even coconut oil on occasion) for all of your cooking needs, as it’s a rich source of heart healthy monounsaturated fatty acids.
If you’ve been using vegetable oils for cooking, you should stop immediately, as they’re incredibly high in omega-6 fats, which can throw off your omega-6 to omega-3 ratio. Increased levels of omega-6 can end up causing chronic inflammation, which can contribute to several types of diseases. (3)
Once you’ve finished cooking the bacon, get ready to cook a whirlwind of ingredients in the same pan to add into your casserole. Start with the onions until they’re caramelized, and then handle the mushrooms and garlic next.
With that done, you can cook your chicken broth and heavy cream in the pan together (I love this combo for keto meals, as it provides a ton of fat calories and essential minerals that your body needs). Last but not least, add in the shredded cheddar cheese and cook it with the cream and broth until you end up with a nice thick sauce mixture.
More Keto Casserole Recipes
All that’s left to do now is add your green beans into the casserole dish and then pour the mushroom and cheese mixture over top of it. Toss everything until your beans are nice and coated, and then top the whole thing off with a tasty mix of onions and bacon. This casserole is pretty quick to bake, only requiring about 15-20 minutes of cooking time before you can enjoy it. And what an enjoyable casserole it is!
Despite the fact that the keto green bean casserole includes a bunch of veggies, they’re all low carb options and the rest of the ingredients provide you with plenty of fats to fill you up. It’s truly a perfect casserole dish for keto dieters!
Keto Green Bean Casserole
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
½ onion, finely sliced
5 slices bacon, cut into ¼ inch pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
10 oz green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
5 oz mushrooms, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp butter
½ cup chicken broth
½ cup heavy cream
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
salt, black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Blanch the green beans in a large pot of well salted boiling water, until the beans are bright green and crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- In a large skillet heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan add the onions and saute, stirring occasionally, until caramelized. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan melt 2 tbsp butter over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.Add the chicken broth and heavy cream and mix to combine. Add the shredded cheddar and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens. Season with black pepper and salt to taste. Remove from the heat.
- Place the green beans in a casserole dish. Pour the mushroom- cheese mixture over the green beans. Toss to coat. Top with onions and bacon. Bake in preheated oven for 15 -20 minutes.
- Serve warm.