This recipe for making a low carb keto Greek salad complete with a homemade Greek dressing has become my go to option for a quick and healthy lunch lately. The Greek dressing made from scratch is simply to die for, while the salad itself is made with a fantastic mixture of nutritious veggies that you can easily prepare in a hurry–great for busy moms and dads!
How to Make a Keto Green Salad
Here’s everything that you’ll need to know in order to make this low carb salad:
- Combine the ingredients. Add the halved cherry tomatoes, halved cucumber, chopped green bell pepper, sliced red onion, kalamata olives, and cubed feta cheese to a bowl.
- Pour. Pour the homemade Greek dressing (see below for details on how to make) over top of the salad.
- Toss. Toss to coat.
- (Optional) Season. Season with salt or black pepper to taste if necessary.
- Serve. Serve immediately.
How to Make Homemade Keto Greek Dressing
Making your own homemade Greek salad dressing is quick and easy with this recipe:
- Combine the ingredients. Add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, dried oregano, and garlic powder to a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Season. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Pour. Pour over your green salad.
- Toss. Toss to coat.
3 Proven Health Benefits You Can Gain By Eating More Salads
I must admit that when I was younger, I used to shy away from eating salads – and what a mistake that was. Don’t make that same mistake yourself – here are three proven health benefits that you can gain by eating more salads:
- An abundance of essential micronutrients. Making homemade salads in general, and especially keto salads, is a great way to ensure that you’re providing your body with an abundance of essential vitamins and minerals. Using a variety of healthy ingredients like tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, and onions means this particular salad recipe is absolutely loaded with these beneficial micronutrients.
- Disease fighting antioxidants. In addition to offering up a wealth of essential micronutrients, many of those same healthy vegetable ingredients are also known to be great sources of antioxidants. Studies have found that these beneficial compounds can help to protect your body against disease by preventing (and in some cases even reversing) the harmful cellular damage caused by exposure to environmental and dietary free radicals. (1)
- Excellent source of dietary fiber. Last but not least, using a variety of green vegetables when making your salads is also a great way to load up on dietary fiber, which is especially important for keto dieters in particular. Getting an adequate fiber intake can help to rev up your metabolism, regulate hormones, and increase feelings of satiety. (2)
How to Make Low Carb Green Salads Ahead (Keto Meal Prep Tips)
Green salads are one of my favorite meal options for meal prepping ahead of time. With that being said, here are a few quick tips to keep in mind if you’re planning on making this keto Greek salad ahead of time:
- Store the homemade Greek dressing and the salad itself separately in airtight containers.
- Keep your airtight containers stored in the fridge; the salad will keep for up to 4-5 days while the homemade Greek dressing will keep for up to 2 weeks.
- When choosing your green veggies for make ahead salads, be sure to stick with firmer options that won’t wilt easily.
(Also try: Keto Italian Antipasto Salad)
Keto Greek Salad with Homemade Greek Dressing
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
For the salad:
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small cucumber, halved and sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ medium red onion, sliced
- ½ cup kalamata olives
- 6 oz feta cheese, cubed
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- salt and black pepper to taste
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl combine all the ingredients.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, onion, olives and feta to another bowl.
- Pour over the dressing and toss to coat.
- Add more salt or black pepper if needed and serve.