Funnel cakes are somewhat of a guilty pleasure, but thanks to recipe for making 10-minute homemade keto funnel cakes, you can indulge yourself guilt-free. Better yet, since these keto funnel cakes are made with nothing but low carb, keto approved ingredients, they’re actually quite a nutritious dessert option as well.
How to Make Keto Funnel Cakes
Here’s everything that you’ll need to know in order to make these low carb homemade funnel cakes:
- Combine the dry ingredients. Add the almond flour, coconut flour, finely grated mozzarella cheese, and xanthan gum to a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Melt. Add the butter, a low carb granulated sweetener like Stevia, a pinch of salt, pure vanilla extract, and water to a pot and melt the mixture over low heat.
- Add the almond flour mixture. Add the almond flour mixture into the butter mixture and cook, while stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon, for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs. Remove the mixture from the heat and begin to add in the two whole eggs, one at a time, mixing with an electric mixer after each egg is added.
- Transfer the dough. Spoon the dough into a piping bag and then cut out the tip.
- Prepare the frying pan. Pour your choice of keto approved cooking oil to a depth of ½ inch in a small saucepan and then heat it over medium high heat.
- Fry. Pipe the batter into the oil in a circular motion and fry until golden brown; it should take about 2 minutes per side.
- Decorate. Dust your funnel cakes with a powdered low carb sweetener.
- Serve. Serve warm.
2 Proven Reasons Why This Keto Funnel Cake is Actually Good for You
Thanks to some smart ingredient choices, these keto funnel cakes are actually quite good for you. With that in mind, here are a few reasons why:
- Heart healthy dessert option. Almond flour is a hugely popular keto baking staple – and for good reason. It offers nearly identical benefits as consuming raw almonds, which have been found to help lower your risk of developing cardiovascular disease by lowering blood pressure, LDL cholesterol levels, and more. (1)
- Provides high quality dietary fat. Almond flour is an excellent source of heart healthy monounsaturated fatty acids, which is partly why they offer such fantastic cardioprotective benefits. In addition though, these funnel cakes are also made with coconut flour, which offers an abundance of medium chain triglyceride (MCT) fatty acids. MCT fats have numerous proven benefits for keto dieters in particular, including making it easier to enter (and remain in) ketosis. (2)
What Can I Use For a Keto Approved Funnel Cake Topping?
One of the best parts about making homemade funnel cakes is covering them in your favorite yummy topping. Here are a couple of my personal favorite options to use as a keto approved funnel cake topping:
(Also try: Mini Keto Churros)
Keto Funnel Cakes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 ½ tbsp granulated Stevia or other low carb granulated sweetener
- 2 eggs
- pinch of salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup finely grated mozzarella
- oil for frying
- powdered low carb sweetener for dusting
- In a small bowl combine the almond flour, coconut flour, mozzarella and xanthan gum.
- In a pot add the butter, sweetener, salt, vanilla extract and water and melt over low heat.
- Add the almond flour mixture and cook, stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon, for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add whole eggs, one at a time, mixing it with an electric mixer after each addition.
- Spoon the dough into a piping bag and cut out the tip.
- Pour the frying oil to depth of ½ inch in a small saucepan and heat it over medium-high heat.
- Pipe the batter into oil in a circular motion.
- Fry until golden brown, 2 minutes on each side.
- Dust with powdered sweetener and serve warm.