This recipe for making crispy keto fried shrimp is always a hit at dinner parties and I attribute that to the fresh ingredients used and of course, the fantastic homemade cocktail sauce. The shrimp pieces are lightly dredged in paprika and Parmesan cheese and then fried to golden brown perfection for that crunch. Yum!
How to Make Keto Fried Shrimp
Here’s everything that you’ll need to know in order to make your own keto fried shrimp:
- Beat the eggs. Add the eggs to a shallow bowl and beat with salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Prepare the dredging mixture. Add the almond flour, smoked paprika, and grated Parmesan cheese to a separate bowl and mix to combine.
- Season. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Dredge the shrimp. Dip each piece of shrimp in the egg mixture before dredging in the almond flour mixture.
- Prepare the cooking skillet. Pour the frying oil to a depth of ½ inch in a large skillet and then heat it over medium-high heat.
- Fry. Fry the shrimp in batches for about 2-3 minutes (or until golden brown).
- Serve. Serve the shrimp with the homemade cocktail sauce.
How to Make Homemade Keto Cocktail Sauce
Making your own homemade keto approved cocktail sauce is quick and easy; just follow these simple directions:
- Combine the ingredients. Add the sugar-free ketchup, prepared horseradish, lemon juice, and salt to taste to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Refrigerate. Refrigerate the cocktail sauce until ready to use.
How to Clean Shrimp Before Cooking
Before you cook your shrimp, you’ll first want to make sure that you have properly cleaned and deveined them. If you’re not sure how to do that, just follow these steps:
- Rinse. Rinse the shrimp under cold, running water.
- Remove the shell. Very gently remove the shell and legs from the shrimp; you may also remove the tail if you would like.
- Devein. Use a small knife to remove and discard the vein.
(Learn more: Is Shrimp Really Keto-friendly?)
Can I Freeze This Keto Fried Popcorn Shrimp for Later?
Fried shrimp is super easy to freeze for later if you happen to have any leftovers on hand.
You’ll just want to make sure that you allow the shrimp to cool completely before adding the shrimp into a heavy duty freezer-safe bag. You’ll be able to keep your keto shrimp frozen like this for up to 2-3 months.
Make sure that you never leave shrimp at room temperature for longer than 2 hours or else bacteria will begin to develop.
Crispy Keto Fried Shrimp with Homemade Cocktail Sauce
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup oil for frying
For the sauce:
- ½ cup sugar-free ketchup
- 1 tbsp prepared horseradish
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
- To make the sauce, combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs with salt and black pepper and set aside.
- Add the grated Parmesan, almond flour, smoked paprika to another bowl and mix to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Dip each shrimp in the eggs then press in the almond flour mixture.
- Pour the frying oil to depth of ½ inch in a large skillet and heat it over medium-high heat.
- Fry the shrimps in batches until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per batch.
- Serve with sauce.