French toast has always been one of my biggest guilty pleasures, especially when there’s whipped cream and cinnamon involved. Here’s how you can make your own deliciously low carb keto french toast sticks.
How to Make Keto French Toast Sticks
- Make your own low carb bread. Combine almond flour, baking powder, one egg, and melted butter in a microwave safe dish. Microwave on high for 90 seconds and then allow to cool completely.
- Cut the bread. Cut into your desired amount of sticks.
- Prepare cinnamon and egg mixtures. Get a shallow dish and combine cinnamon and whatever type of low carb sweetener you’re using.
- Combine the liquid ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine egg and almond milk.
- Prepare your skillet. Heat up one tablespoon of butter over medium heat.
- Dip each one of your breadsticks into the egg mixture. Cook them in the skillet until they’re golden brown on each side. Immediately transfer them onto the cinnamon dish and press down until fully coated.
3 Types of Cinnamon I Recommend for French Toast
There are quite a few varieties of cinnamon, but they mostly fall into two broad categories: cassia cinnamon and Ceylon cinnamon.
Ceylon cinnamon is considered to be “real” cinnamon and tends to be more expensive (and sometimes harder to find) than cassia cinnamon. While both types are most definitely very real, I like to use Ceylon cinnamon for my recipes.
Can I Make These Keto French Toast Sticks Ahead?
You can definitely make these French toast sticks and then freeze them for later. Keep them sealed up in either a freezer-safe bag or storage container and throw them in the freezer.
You can reheat them by simply throwing them in the microwave for about 60 seconds, but I usually prefer to heat the oven to 350°F and bake them for 10-15 minutes.
Is French Toast Keto Friendly?
Many of my friends are surprised to hear that I’m still enjoying things like French toast for breakfast when they know that I’m on a keto diet. The truth is that it’s quite easy to enjoy just about all of your favorite breakfast foods in low carb, keto friendly ways.
It all comes down to making smart ingredient swaps. You’re basically looking to swap out things like sugar, refined wheat flour, and dairy milk with things like Stevia, almond flour, and unsweetened almond milk instead.
With this recipe, you’ll even be making your own keto bread, so you’re well-covered!
(You may also like: Cinnamon Keto French Toast Casserole)
Cinnamon Keto French Toast Sticks
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Total Time: 17 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
For the bread:
- 3 tbsp almond flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
The rest of ingredients:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 medium egg
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp granulated Stevia or other low carb granulated sweetener
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- To make the bread, in a microwave safe dish combine the almond flour, baking powder, egg and melted butter.
- Microwave on high for 90 minutes or until just firm to touch and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the microwave oven and allow to cool completely.
- Cut into sticks.
- In a shallow dish combine the sweetener and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In another shallow dish combine the egg and almond milk.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in non stick skillet over medium heat.
- Dip the bread sticks in egg mixture.
- Add the bread slices in the skillet and cook until golden brown on each side.
- Immediately transfer to the dish with the cinnamon mixture and roll to coat.
- Serve with fresh berries.
More Must-Try Keto Breakfast Recipes
Craving more fantastic keto breakfast recipes just like this one? Here are five more recipes for you to try that I consider to be 100% must-try options:
- Keto BLT Frittata – There’s no denying that eggs are a superfood so what better way to start your day than by making this yummy BLT frittata?
- Keto Breakfast Shake – This recipe is perfect for making a quick and healthy breakfast for those busy mornings where you don’t have enough time to cook an actual meal.
- Sausage and Egg Keto Breakfast Casserole – Nothing says comfort food like a good homemade breakfast casserole. And since it only takes five ingredients to make this recipe, it’s super easy to dig into this amazing sausage and egg casserole.
- Strawberry and Banana Keto Breakfast Bars – If you would rather enjoy your breakfast on your way to work in the morning, these breakfast bars are the perfect choice for you.
- Keto Green Breakfast Smoothie – For those who prefer the classic green smoothie option for breakfast, this is the recipe for you.