From time to time, I get the opportunity to share a recipe with you guys that I’m 100% genuinely excited about. Today is one of those days since I’m going to be sharing a recipe that combines two of my very favorite things into one outstanding keto dish: chicken enchiladas and casserole. The recipe will show you exactly how to make the best keto enchilada casserole in just around 30 minutes.
I am OBSESSED with keto chicken casseroles. They’re so easy to make, can be made ahead of time (and frozen), and my whole family loves them. If you’re looking for more ideas, take a look at these super easy keto chicken casseroles.
How To Make Keto Chicken Enchilada Casserole
My chicken enchilada keto casserole recipe below is done in just 30 minutes, so if you’re looking for something you can whip up in no time, this is a great recipe!
- Prep the ingredients. Chop up the chicken breasts, fresh cilantro, and onion. Mince the garlic cloves.
- Preheat the oven. Preheat your oven and lightly grease a baking dish with extra olive oil.
- Cook. In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato sauce, chili powder, and cumin. Mix to combine.
- Simmer. Bring to a simmer and cook until the sauce has thickened.
- Combine the ingredients. Remove the sauce from the heat. Use a separate bowl and combine the chicken, cooked sauce, diced green chile peppers, cilantro, and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Season. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Finish it all off. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Add the cheese. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese and then bake for 10 minutes (or until the cheese has melted).
- Serve. Sprinkle with extra cilantro and serve.
More Good Keto Chicken Casseroles
Should Enchiladas Be Crispy or Soft?
Ideally, your enchiladas should end up falling somewhere in the middle ground between crispy and soft. Remember that enchiladas are going to end up covered in sauce, so you obviously can’t expect them to be perfectly crispy.
That’s doubly true when you’re making your enchiladas without the tortillas like you are with this casserole dish.
(Make these to go with this recipe: 6-Ingredient Keto Guacamole)
Should Keto Enchilada Casserole Be Cooked Before Freezing?
You’re definitely going to want to cook your enchilada casserole before you freeze it. With that being said though, it’s also important to make sure you allow it to cool off completely before freezing.
Another one of the great benefits of making this keto enchilada casserole recipe and freezing it is that since you’re not using corn tortillas, it won’t end up soggy when you thaw it out as tortillas usually do.
You can keep this casserole in the freezer for up to 3 months but keep an eye out for ice crystals which can form and add excess moisture when thawed.
Best Way To Reheat Your Chicken Enchilada Casserole
When it’s time to reheat your chicken keto enchilada casserole, simply follow these steps:
- Leave it in the refrigerator overnight for it to thaw halfway.
- Leave it out at room temperature for about an hour or two before you plan to reheat it.
- This step is purely optional, but you can add a bit more cheese on top.
- Pop it in the oven on “Bake” for 5-7 minutes at 400°F.
Quick (And Easy) Keto Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
1 ½ pounds cooked chicken breast, chopped
1 (4 oz) can diced green chile peppers
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro plus extra for decoration
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 tbsp olive oil plus extra for greasing
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 (15 oz) can no sugar added tomato sauce
salt, black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly grease a baking dish with extra olive oil and set aside.
- In a skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato sauce, chili powder and cumin and mix to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until the sauce is thickened to your liking.
- Remove from the heat.
- In a bowl combine the chicken, sauce, diced green chile peppers, cilantro and 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with extra cilantro and serve.