This make-ahead keto enchilada sauce recipe is as convenient as it gets when it comes to meal prepping because you can transform anything into a well-seasoned dish with just a tablespoon or two of this signature sauce. Best of all, it’s ready to go in less than 25 minutes!
How to Make Keto Enchilada Sauce
Here’s everything that you’ll need to know in order to make this flavorful homemade enchilada sauce from scratch:
- Melt the butter. Add the butter to a small saucepan and melt over medium heat.
- Cook the garlic. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add seasonings. Add the chili powder, cumin, onion powder, a low carb granulated sweetener like Stevia, cayenne pepper, ground cinnamon, and tomato paste to the saucepan and stir to combine.
- Add chicken stock. Add the chicken stock and stir until well combined.
- Boil. Bring the sauce to a boil over medium high heat.
- Simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes; long enough for the sauce to thicken to your liking.
- Season. Season with salt to taste.
Uses for Homemade Keto Enchilada Sauce
If you’re wondering what sort of foods to pair with your homemade enchilada sauce, here are a few tasty suggestions to get you started:
- Use it in everything from regular enchiladas to enchilada soups and enchilada casseroles.
- Use it as a flavoring for cauliflower rice.
- Add the sauce to stuffed bell peppers with cheese and other veggies.
Can I Freeze Keto Enchilada Sauce? (+How to Reheat)
The best way to freeze your homemade keto enchilada sauce is to first allow it to cool completely to room temperature. You can then transfer the sauce into a freezer-safe glass jar, container, or Ziploc bag to store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to thaw out the enchilada sauce, you can simply take it out of the freezer and leave it in the fridge overnight. Once it has thawed out, you can reheat it on the stove over medium heat; you can also optionally stir in a bit of added chicken stock or water until you reach your desired consistency.
(You may also like: Keto Chicken Enchilada Casserole)
Make-Ahead Keto Enchilada Sauce for Easy Mexican Meals
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 1 3/4 cups 1x
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp granulated Stevia or other low carb granulated sweetener
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp sugar free tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken stock
- salt to taste
- In a small saucepan melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, onion powder, sweetener, cayenne pepper, cinnamon and tomato paste and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken stock and stir until well combined.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until thickens.
- Season to taste with salt.