Low carb soup lovers: you need to check out this recipe for making a creamy and hearty keto cream of chicken soup.
Another really good homemade soup to try is this homemade cream of mushroom soup if you’re looking for something a little less hearty.
How to Make Keto Cream of Chicken Soup
It’s super quick and easy to prepare this cream of chicken soup from scratch; it just takes a few minutes of prep work and then a bit of patience as the delicious smell of cooked soup fills your kitchen.
- Melt the butter. Add the butter to a large pot and melt over medium heat.
- Cook the onion and celery. Add the diced onion and diced celery and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken. Add the chicken breasts and chicken stock.
- Simmer. Cover the mixture with a lid and allow it to simmer for 40-50 minutes.
- Shred the chicken. Remove the chicken from the pot and shred it with 2 forks.
- Add the cream. Lower the heat to low and then add in the heavy cream. Bring to a simmer once again.
- Sprinkle. Sprinkle the xanthan gum over top of the soup.
- Whisk. Whisk for 3-5 minutes or until the soup has thickened.
- Add the chicken. Stir in the shredded chicken.
- Season. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Garnish. Remove the soup from the heat and sprinkle with chopped chives.
- Serve. Serve warm.
You may also like: Ham Soup
What to Serve with Your Keto Soup
Here are just a few of my favorite dishes to serve alongside this, or any, keto soup:
Can I Make Keto Cream of Chicken Soup Ahead?
This keto soup recipe is a great candidate for a make ahead meal.
As a matter of fact, I love meal prepping this keto chicken soup in bulk to leave in the fridge so that I have several bowls of delicious and nourishing soup on hand for several days in a row.
You can either transfer the soup into airtight containers or simply into microwave-safe bowls before then storing them in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
When you’re ready to reheat the soup, you can either microwave it for 30-second intervals until it’s heated through or simply warm it up in a pot over the oven again.
P.S. If you’re looking for more set-it-and-forget-it chicken meals, also take a look at these easy chicken casseroles: https://ketopots.com/keto-chicken-casserole-recipes
Keto Cream of Chicken Soup
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Soup, Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- 1 oz butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ cup diced celery
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a large pot.
- Add the onion and celery and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and stock.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for 40-50 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and shred with 2 forks.
- Lower the heat to low.
- Add the heavy cream to the pot and bring to simmer.
- Sprinkle the xanthan gum over the soup and whisk for 3-5 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the shredded chicken.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Remove from the heat.
- Sprinkle with chopped chives and serve.