Today’s recipe is all about the most amazing keto crab rangoons with a homemade sweet and sour dipping sauce. The rangoon wontons are made with a clever selection of keto approved ingredients like melted mozzarella cheese, almond flour, and xanthan gum and then filled with a tasty crab filling to make the perfect bite-sized piece.
How to Make Keto Crab Ragoon Filling
Before you actually make the crab rangoons, you’ll want to first take a few minutes to prepare the homemade filling mixture. The crab filling is the easiest part of this recipe, so you can actually use this crab filling for other recipes as well.
- Combine the ingredients. Add the cream cheese, soy sauce, and Sriracha sauce to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Fold. Fold in the sliced green onions and drained crab meat.
- Set aside. Set the mixture aside.
How to Make Keto Crab Rangoons
Once you have the crab filling ready to go, it’s time to prepare the finished rangoons.
- Microwave the cheese. Add the shredded mozzarella cheese to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 30-second intervals, stirring between intervals, until the cheese is completely smooth.
- Process. Add the almond flour and xanthan gum to a food processor and pulse a few times.
- Form the dough. Add the melted mozzarella, eggs, and salt to taste and process the mixture until it forms into a dough.
- Refrigerate. Cover the dough and refrigerate it for a minimum of one hour.
- Prepare the dough into balls. Divide the dough into 2 balls before taking one of the dough balls and rolling it out between two pieces of parchment paper until it’s about ⅛ inch thick. Remove the top piece of parchment paper and cut into 9 squares.
- Add the crab filling into each square piece of dough. Place one heaping teaspoon of the crab filling into the center of each square and then fold the dough over the filling to create a triangle, pinching the edges to seal them.
- Repeat. Repeat the above steps with the remaining half of the dough.
- Prepare the cooking skillet. Add ¼ cup of cooking oil (I recommend olive oil) to a large skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Cook until golden brown. Work in batches to fry the triangles for 2-3 minutes per side (or until they turn golden).
- Serve. Serve the crab rangoons with sweet and sour sauce.
How to Make a Homemade Keto Sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce
The homemade sweet and sour dipping sauce is super easy to make. Just follow these simple instructions and you can have it ready in just a few minutes:
- Combine the ingredients. Add the sugar-free ketchup, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, a low carb granulated sweetener like Stevia, and xanthan gum to a saucepan and mix to combine.
- Boil. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Simmer. Reduce the heat and allow the sauce to simmer for approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Set aside. Remove the sauce from the heat and set aside.
Can I Freeze These Keto Crab Rangoons?
The best way to freeze your keto crab rangoons is to first arrange them all evenly on a baking sheet and then flash freeze them. Once you have frozen the rangoons, you can then transfer them into a heavy duty freezer-safe bag and keep them in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
Best Way to Reheat These Keto Crab Rangoons
The best way to reheat your crab rangoons is to first allow them to thaw out for a bit at room temperature when you first take them out of the freezer. You should then once again use a frying pan to reheat them for best results.
(You may also like: Avocado Keto Tuna Salad)
Scrumptious Keto Crab Rangoons with Sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 9 1x
For the dough:
- 3 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1 ½ cup almond flour
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp xantan gum
- salt to taste
- oil for frying
For the filling:
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 1 tsp keto Sriracha sauce or other keto hot pepper sauce to taste
- ¼ cup sliced green onion
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 oz caned crab meat, drained well
For the sweet and sour sauce:
- ½ cup sugar-free ketchup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup granulated Stevia or other low carb granulated sweetener
- 1/8 tsp xantan gum
- salt to taste
- To make the sauce, combine the ketchup, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, sweetener and xantan gum in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To make the filling, add the cream cheese, soy sauce and Sriracha sauce to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Fold in green onions and crab meat.
- Set aside.
- Place the mozzarella in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high.
- Stir every 30 seconds until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Place the almond flour and xantan gum in a food processor and pulse a few times.
- Add the melted mozzarella, eggs and salt to taste and process until dough is formed.
- Cover and refrigerate for minimum 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into 2 balls.
- Place the ball between two pieces of parchment paper and roll out to 1/8″ thick.
- Remove the top piece of parchment paper.
- Cut into 9 squares.
- Place 1 heaped teaspoon of the filling in the center of each square.
- Fold the dough over the filling to create a triangle, pinching the edges to seal.
- Repeat all steps with remaining half of dough.
- Heat ¼ cup of oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Working in batches, fry the triangles for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden.
- Serve with sweet and sour sauce.