Years ago I used to drink my coffee with two cream and two sugar. Eventually I realized that I was consuming a ton of calories from sugar in any given week (3-4 cups of java per day will do it to you) so I switched over to drinking black coffee. This was fine for a while, right up until about the time I started the keto diet. I started to experiment with making my own homemade flavorings and I discovered this neat little recipe for keto coffee creamer that I can’t get enough of.
How to Make French Vanilla Keto Coffee Creamer
Once you try this homemade French vanilla keto coffee creamer, you’ll realize how convenient it is to make your own using only the best keto ingredients.
- Prepare the milk mixture. Combine the heavy cream and unsweetened almond milk in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil and then remove from heat.
- Prepare the egg yolk mixture. Whisk together the egg yolks, vanilla extract, and low carb sweetener in a small bowl.
- Combine. Slowly add the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly until well combined.
- Simmer. Transfer the coffee creamer back to the saucepan and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Refrigerate. Remove from the heat and transfer the creamer to a bottle or a jar. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Keto Coffee Creamer Ingredient Alternatives
Making your coffee with keto coffee creamer is a great way to kickstart your day, but you can also try adding any of these for more variety:
- Grass-fed butter – I’m sure many of you have heard of Bulletproof Coffee before and there’s a good reason for that. Grass-fed butter provides an abundance of heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids and disease-fighting antioxidants. (1)
- MCT (or Coconut) oil. MCT oil or coconut oil provide you with medium chain triglyceride fatty acids, which studies have found to help with weight management and exercise endurance. (2)
- Maple extract. This is not to be confused with maple syrup. Even just a drop or two of maple extract in your coffee can really change up the flavor of your coffee.
Can You Freeze Keto Coffee Creamer?
While this keto-friendly creamer will keep for up to 5 days when properly stored in the fridge, you may wish to consider freezing it in order to extend its shelf life.
This is certainly doable, and as a matter of fact, I recommend it for one simple reason: it’s fantastic when frozen as ice cubes and then melted in a hot cup of coffee. Not only do frozen coffee creamer ice cubes help to cool down your drink, but they also infuse it with a delicious French vanilla flavor all at the same time; talk about a win-win.
Is Keto Coffee Creamer Healthy?
Non-keto coffee creamer options tend to be unhealthy since they’re loaded with sugar and things like artificial flavorings, preservatives, and hydrogenated oils, which have been shown to have some negative effects on your health when consumed in excess.
On the other hand, homemade options like this keto coffee creamer are made with healthy ingredients and are safe to be consumed every day.
(Learn more: Is Coffee Really Keto-friendly or Too High in Caffeine?)
More Yummy Keto Coffee Recipes:
- Keto Bulletproof Coffee Ice Cream
- 14 Best Keto Coffee Recipes, Brands and Creamers
- Bulletproof Coffee Keto Mug Cake
- Mocha Latte Keto Coffee Cheesecake Bites
Homemade French Vanilla Keto Coffee Creamer
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
2/3 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 egg yolks
4 tbsp granulated Stevia or other low carb sweetener to taste
2 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine the heavy cream and almond milk in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and remove from the heat.
- In a bowl whisk the egg yolks, sweetener and vanilla extract.
- Slowly add the hot milk mixture to the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
- Return the coffee creamer mixture to a saucepan and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Transfer in a bottle or a jar and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.