Breakfast doesn’t need to be carb-heavy at all, and you certainly don’t need to eat sugary concoctions to feel energized. What you CAN indulge in is a nice big bowl of homemade keto cereal. Here’s how to make your own.
How to Make The Best Cinnamon Crunch Keto Cereal
- Combine the dry ingredients. In a bowl, combine your almond flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Combine the wet ingredients. In another bowl, cream the butter and sweetener and add the egg.
- Mix the two. Combine the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients and refrigerate while covered for at least 2 hours.
- Roll out the dough. Once it’s chilled, roll out the dough until it’s ¼ inch thick.
- Freeze. Transfer the flattened dough to a baking sheet and freeze for just 10 minutes.
- Bake. Straight from the freezer, bake the dough in a preheated oven until golden brown.
- Make the melted butter mixture. In a bowl, combine some melted butter, cinnamon and sweetener.
- Brush the dough. Brush the dough with the melted butter mixture.
- Let cool then cut into bite sized pieces. Cut into your desired sizes.
Tips for Crunchy Keto Cereal Every Time
- Don’t skip any steps! One thing to take note of is to give enough time to chill the dough before baking and then freezing it again before brushing it with the melted butter mixture. If you do these steps out of order or skip any of them, the end result won’t be as crisp.
- Roll it to the right thickness. In the directions, I mention ¼ inch thickness. This is the best thickness of dough you want in order to achieve the crisp texture at the end.
- Bake it at the right temperature and duration. Depending on the type of oven you have, you may have to adjust the cooking time slightly. Keep a close eye on it to ensure it won’t burn. If it’s underdone, you can just put it back in the oven for another minute or two.
Is Cereal Keto-Friendly?
Traditional boxed cereals are not keto-friendly because they’re typically made using wheat or oat-based ingredients. Also, most cereal brands contain added sugars. If you take a look at the nutrition facts, even low-sugar variants contain some sugars, which is why I always recommend making your own.
How to Store Keto Cereal
You can store your keto cereal in an airtight container at room temperature. These keep for 7 to 10 days as long as they’re stored properly.
If they turn soft, you can pop them in the oven on broil for about 3-5 minutes.
Rather buy your keto-friendly cereal instead? Take a look at the top 3 keto cereal brands
(You may also like: Homemade Chocolate and Peanut Butter Keto Cereal)
Crave-worthy Keto Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 10 1x
For the cereal:
- 2 cups almond flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated Stevia or other low carb granulated sweetener
- 1 egg
For the cinnamon topping:
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp granulated Stevia or other low carb granulated sweetener
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- In a bowl combine the almond flour, salt, cinnamon, xanthan gum and baking powder.
- Cream the butter and sweetener in another bowl.
- Add the egg and beat to combine.
- Add the almond flour mixture and mix to combine.
- Wrap the dough with cling film and refrigerate for minimum 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the dough between two pieces of parchment paper and roll out to 1/4″ thick.
- Remove the top piece of parchment paper.
- Transfer the dough with parchment to a baking sheet.
- Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and bake in preheated oven for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a bowl combine the melted butter, sweetener and ground cinnamon.
- Brush the dough with butter-cinnamon mixture.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Cut into bite size pieces.
- Store in an airtight container.
More Good Homemade Keto Cereal Recipes
- 3-Minute Keto Creamy Hot Cereal (Beauty and the Foodie)
- Almond Butter Crunch Keto Cereal (Low Carb Inspirations)
- Nut Free Keto Cereal (Real Balanced)
- Mixed Nut Hempseed Cereal (Neurotic Mommy)
- Keto Chocolate Cereal (All Day I Dream About Food)
- Keto Muesli (Low Carb Yum)
- Low Carb Cocoa Puffs (Little Pine Low Carb)
- Keto Pancake Cereal (Cast Iron Keto)