Crispy and Crunchy Mini Keto Churros
You won’t believe how incredibly yummy these keto churros. They’re absolutely fantastic and everything you would want in a healthy, keto snack while still having that signature churro texture that we all know and love: crunchy on the outside and soft in the center.
How to Make Mini Keto Churros
Here’s everything that you’ll need to know in order to be making your own mini keto churros like a pro in no time:
- Prepare the almond flour mixture. Add the almond flour, a low carb granulated sweetener like Stevia, the finely shredded mozzarella, xanthan gum, and baking powder to a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Melt the butter. Melt the grass-fed butter in a pot over low heat.
- Cook. Add the almond flour mixture into the pot and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon as you cook.
- Let the dough cool.
- Add the eggs. Add the whole eggs, one at a time, using an electric mixer to mix after each addition, until an elastic dough is formed.
- Prepare the pastry bag. Spoon the dough mixture into a pastry bag that has been fitted with a french star tip. The french star tip is a must if you want that textured edge.
- Prepare the cooking skillet. Pour the frying oil into a large skillet to a depth of ½ inch and heat it over medium high heat.
- Fry the dough. Pipe out small strips of the dough into the hot oil and fry for a few minutes (or until the churros are deeply golden). Transfer the churros to a paper towel lined plate when finished frying.
- Prepare the cinnamon coating mixture. Add the sweetener and ground cinnamon to either a bowl or a deep plate and mix to combine.
- Toss. Toss the churros in the cinnamon coating mixture.
- Serve. Serve the churros with sugar free chocolate sauce.
Can I Bake These Keto Churros Instead?
It’s definitely possible to bake your keto churros instead of frying them.
After preparing the churro dough, you’ll want to bake them at 350℉ for about 10 minutes before then broiling them until just golden brown. You can then finish them off by dredging them in the cinnamon coating mixture and serving them with the sugar free chocolate sauce as usual.
2 Quick Tips for Getting the Texture of Your Keto Churros Just Right
Here are a couple of helpful tips to keep in mind that should make sure that your churros are turning out with a perfect texture, each and every time:
- Pipe small pieces only. When piping out your churro dough, you want to make sure that you’re only piping out small strips for frying. I usually aim for dough strips that are about 8cm (3 inches) in length.
- Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. Keep a close eye on your churros while they’re frying. It can be relatively easy to overcook them. You’re looking for an ideal texture that is nice and crispy on the outside, while being soft (but not doughy soft) on the inside.
- Have a cooling rack ready. Immediately after frying, you can transfer the churros to a plate or bowl lined with paper towels to help absorb the oil. If you have a cooling rack, that’s even better because it helps the churro cool evenly.
Keto Toppings and Dips
I usually serve my mini keto churros with the tried and true classic of cinnamon sugar or sugar-free chocolate sauce. These combos are simply to die for. With that being said though, here are a few more suggestions for yummy low carb toppings and dips that you can serve along with your keto churros:
- Homemade sugar-free caramel sauce
- Heavy whipped cream
- Fresh berry sauce (strawberry sauce, blueberry sauce, etc.)
(You may also like: No-Bake Keto Mississippi Mud Bars)
(More keto dessert ideas: 67 Easy No-Bake Keto Desserts)
Crispy and Crunchy Mini Keto Churros
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
FREE KETO RECIPES + 5-INGREDIENT KETO COOKBOOKMake sure to sign up for free to get instant access to the 5-Ingredient Keto Cookbook, which includes my favorite 20+ keto recipes of all-time, all under 5 ingredients.
View All the 5-Ingredient Keto Cookbook Recipes
For mini churros:
- 4 oz almond flour
- 1/4 cup finely shredded mozzarella
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup grass-fed butter
- 2 tbsp granulated Stevia or other low carb granulated sweetener
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- oil for frying
For the cinnamon coating:
- ¼ cup granulated Stevia or other low carb granulated sweetener
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- In a small bowl combine the almond flour, sweetener, shredded mozzarella, xanthan gum and baking powder.
- Melt the butter in a pot over low heat.
- Add the almond flour mixture and cook, stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon, for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Allow the dough to cool at room temperature.
- Add whole eggs, one at a time, mixing it with an electric mixer after each addition until elastic dough is formed.
- Spoon the dough into a pastry bag fitted with a french star tip.
- Pour the frying oil to depth of ½ inch in a large skillet and heat it over medium-high heat.
- Pipe out a small strips of dough into the hot oil.
- Fry for a few minutes or until deeply golden.
- Transfer the churros to a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a bowl or a deep plate combine the sweetener and cinnamon.
- Toss each churros in the cinnamon mixture.
- Serve with sugar-free chocolate sauce.
Ask a Question Rate this Recipe