You won’t believe how easy it is to make your very own keto chocolate chip ice cream from scratch. This recipe will show you how to make a batch using only 7 common keto-friendly ingredients to make one tasty ice cream that doubles as a healthy snack.
How to Make Keto Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Making the chocolate chip ice cream is quick and easy; the only thing to keep in mind is that you’ll have to keep your homemade ice cream in the freezer overnight (or most of the day if you prep it first thing in the morning) before you can dig into it.
- Melt the white chocolate. Microwave the sugar free white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl until it has melted.
- Blend the ice cream base together. Add the heavy cream, unsweetened almond milk, melted white chocolate, pure vanilla extract, a low carb sweetener like Stevia, and xanthan gum to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to container. Pour the ice cream mixture into an airtight container.
- Fold in the sugar free dark chocolate chips. Since this is a chocolate chip recipe, feel free to add a liberal amount of chocolate chips.
- Let freeze overnight. Cover the container with a lid and freeze the ice cream overnight or until solid.
- Serve. Remove from the freezer and allow the ice cream to sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Other Great Keto Ice Cream Flavors You Can Make
If you loved this recipe but you’re craving another flavor of ice cream besides chocolate chip, then you’ll be happy to know that it’s quite easy to modify this recipe to make a variety of flavors.
- Replace the sugar free white chocolate with dark chocolate and make double chocolate chip ice cream.
- Use fresh or frozen strawberries to make strawberry ice cream. Strawberries are low carb, so this can still be a keto recipe.
- Increase the amount of heavy cream and add mashed bananas to make banana cream ice cream. Even though bananas contain carbs, just 1 or 1 ½ bananas will already give it a nice flavor without adding a ton of carbs.
Do I Need An Ice Cream Maker for This Recipe?
The great thing about making keto ice cream recipes like this one is just how easy it is to make ice cream from scratch without having to use an ice cream maker.
There are all kinds of recipes readily available online that will teach you how to make various types of keto-friendly no churn ice cream, but the main secret to making truly excellent keto no churn ice cream without an ice cream maker is to take it out and give the mixture a vigorous stirring once every 1-2 hours.
Is Keto Ice Cream Healthy?
While it’s true this chocolate chip ice cream is quite good for you, it’s still a treat that’s best enjoyed in moderation. With that being said, you’ll be happy to know that making this ice cream recipe will also provide you with the following proven health benefits:
- Cardioprotective benefits. Numerous studies have confirmed that sugar-free dark chocolate is rich in beneficial compounds. It’s especially good for helping to protect against cardiovascular disease, as dark chocolate consumption has been found to reduce both high blood pressure and harmful LDL cholesterol levels. (1)
- Prevents blood sugar spikes. Using both sugar free white and dark chocolate in combination with a low carb sweetener like Stevia keeps this ice cream totally sugar free. This makes it an excellent choice for individuals with type 2 diabetes, as they’ll be able to enjoy a yummy ice cream without worrying about blood sugar spikes.
- Good source of antioxidants. Dark chocolate is also an incredibly rich source of disease-fighting antioxidants. The polyphenols found in dark chocolate have been found to help provide protection against various types of cancer and chronic inflammatory diseases. (2)
(You may also like: Raspberry Chocolate Chip Keto Ice Cream)
Easy 7-Ingredient Keto Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 12 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup granulated Stevia or other low carb granulated sweetener
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 oz sugar free white chocolate
- ¼ cup sugar free dark mini chocolate chips
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- Melt the white chocolate.
- Add the heavy cream, almond milk, melted white chocolate, vanilla extract, sweetener and xantan gum to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the ice cream in an airtight container.
- Fold in the dark chocolate chips.
- Cover with a lid and freeze overnight or until solid.
- Remove from the freezer and allow to sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before serving.