This recipe for making an easy crockpot keto chicken tortilla soup is exactly what the soul needs on a dreary, rainy day for pure comfort.
Slow cookers are my favorite way to make a no hassle dinner! If you’re looking for more crockpot chicken recipes, make sure to try this crockpot white chicken chili and this easy crockpot chicken and dumpling recipe.
How to Make Keto Chicken Tortilla Soup
One of the best things about keto crockpot recipes is their simplicity, and this yummy chicken tortilla soup is no exception:
- Add most of the ingredients to the slow cooker. Add the olive oil, chopped onion, minced garlic cloves, chopped carrots, chopped celery, one seeded and finely chopped jalapeno, chicken broth, one can of diced tomatoes with green chilies, one pound of chicken breasts, cumin, and chili powder to a slow cooker.
- Cook. Cover the slow cooker with a lid and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Shred the chicken. Open the lid and remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker and then use 2 forks to shred.
- Return the chicken. Add the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Stir in the chopped fresh cilantro and freshly squeezed lime juice.
- Season. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve. Serve the soup warm with keto tortilla chips and your favorite toppings, such as avocado, chopped cilantro, sliced jalapenos, etc.
Related: Crockpot Chicken Tacos
2 Useful Tips To Keep In Mind When Cooking Keto Soups
Here are a couple of general tips to keep in mind when it comes to cooking keto approved soups:
- Don’t forget the protein. While it’s obviously essential to ensure you’re including plenty of quality dietary fat sources as part of your keto diet, it’s equally as important to also make sure that you’re getting enough protein. This particular keto soup recipe uses chicken, but there are all kinds of other keto approved options that will work just as well in your soup recipes; don’t be afraid to experiment!
- Include a variety of veggies. Dietary fat and protein might be the 2 main macros that keto dieters are interested in but it’s also important to include all of the necessary micronutrients that your body requires in your diet. With that in mind, including a variety of fresh vegetables in your soup recipes is a great way to provide your body with those essential vitamins, minerals, and disease-fighting antioxidants.
Can I Freeze Keto Chicken Tortilla Soup? (+ How to Reheat)
You can definitely freeze this keto chicken tortilla soup.
As with any warm food that you’re planning on freezing, you’ll first want to make sure that you allow the soup to cool off completely. You can then portion the soup out into individual serving sizes and transfer each serving into either an airtight container or a freezer-safe Ziploc bag.
You’ll be able to keep this soup frozen for up to 6 months when stored like this.
When you’re ready to reheat the soup, you can either warm it up in the crockpot on low or simply heat it up over the stove.
P.S. For a protein packed and super nourishing superfood chicken soup, try this bone broth chicken soup: https://ketopots.com/keto-bone-broth-chicken-soup
Easy Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours, 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Soup, Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup chopped carrots
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 oz) canned diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro plus extra for decoration
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Add all the ingredients except lime juice and cilantro to a slow cooker.
- Cover with a lid and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Open the lid and remove the chicken from the slow cooker.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks.
- Add the chicken back into the slow cooker.
- Stir in the cilantro and lime juice.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve warm topped with keto tortilla chips and your favorite toppings (avocado, chopped cilantro, sliced jalapeno…)
Keywords: soup, chicken, tortilla