Mini Keto Chicken Pot Pies (Easy, Low Carb and Freezable)
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
For the crust:
- 3 cups shredded low moisture mozzarella
- 10 tbsp butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- salt to taste
For the filling:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 pound chicken breast, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup frozen green peas
- 2 tsp paprika
- salt and black pepper to taste
For egg wash:
- To make the crust, add the mozzarella cheese and butter to a microwave safe bowl.
- Cover with microwave safe plastic wrap.
- Microwave for 1 minute or until melted.
- Add the melted mozzarella mixture, almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, dried thyme and eggs to a food processor and process until well combined.
- Transfer the dough to parchment paper and form into a log shape.
- Refrigerate while making the filling.
- To make the filling, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, celery and carrot and cook until soft.
- Add the chicken and cook until no longer pink.
- Add the dried thyme, paprika, vinegar, chicken broth, heavy cream and green peas and stir to combine.
- Cook and stir until thickened.
- Remove from the heat.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Let it cool.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and divide into 1/3 and 2/3 parts.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with silicon cups.
- Cut 2/3 of the dough into 12 pieces.
- Press each piece into a cup on the muffin tin.
- Divide the filling between cups. Do not over-fill.
- Cut 1/3 of the dough into 12 circles.
- Top each mini pie with a circle and pinch edges to seal.
- Brush the pies with beaten egg.
- Cut a few slits in the top of the each pie to create a vent.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Serve immediately or freeze for later.
- To freeze, cool the pies completely.
- Place the pies on a tray lined with parchment paper and freeze until firm.
- Wrap each pie in plastic wrap then stick in a freezer bag.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To reheat, thaw the pies in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Place the pies on a tray lined with parchment paper and cover with foil.
- Bake in preheat oven for 20 minutes or until warmed through.