This recipe is for making mini keto chicken pot pies that are easy, low carb and even freezable. If you’re looking for a comforting recipe that’s great for meal-prepping and well within keto guidelines, give this a try! Today I’m going to be teaching you how to make an easy low carb keto pot pie crust and homemade filling entirely from scratch.
How to Make Mini Keto Chicken Pot Pie Crust
- Microwave the cheese. Melted cheese is a great start to any meal, yes? Combine the butter with mozzarella cheese in a microwave safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 60 seconds or until melted.
- Process. Add the melted mozzarella mix into a food processor with the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, dried thyme, and eggs. Process until well combined.
- Refrigerate. Transfer the dough to parchment paper and roll it out into a log shape then refrigerate.
How to Make Keto Chicken Pot Pie Filling
While the dough is chilling, you can turn your attention to making the sumptuous filling:
- Cook. Melt some butter over medium heat then add the onion, celery, and carrot and cook until soft. Then add the diced chicken breast and cook until no longer pink. Finally, add the dried thyme, paprika, white wine vinegar, chicken broth, heavy cream, and green peas. Stir to combine and cook until the sauce has thickened to your liking.
- Season. After removing the sauce from the heat, season to taste with salt and black pepper. Leave to cool.
- Putting it all together. Preheat the oven then start lining your muffin pan with silicone cups. Remove the dough from the fridge and divide it into a ⅓ part and a ⅔ part. Cut the ⅔ part into 12 pieces and then press each piece into a cup on the muffin tin.
- Add the chicken filling. Divide your chicken filling between each of the muffin cups, being careful not to overfill any.
- Finishing it off. Cut the remaining ⅓ of dough into 12 circles and top each of your mini pies with a circle. Pinch the edges to seal them and then brush each pie with beaten egg. Cut a few slits in the top of each pie to act as a vent while cooking. Tip: Now’s the time to gently cut a design over the top of your pies using a sharp knife.
- Bake. Bake the mini pies for 20-25 minutes or until they’re golden.
- Serve. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
How to Store Keto Pot Pies (+ Can You Freeze Them?)
These chicken pot pies are absolutely fantastic when enjoyed as leftovers.
They can be safely kept in the fridge inside an airtight container or wrapped in plastic or foil for between 3-5 days before going bad. If you want your leftover pies to last for longer, the good news is that they also happen to be great for freezing.
You’ll first want to allow the pies to cool off completely when they come out of the oven. Then place all of the pies on a tray lined with parchment paper.
Freeze them like this until they’re firm and then wrap each pie individually in plastic wrap. Place each of your wrapped pies in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
Does Chicken Pot Pie Need to Have a Bottom Crust?
While it’s certainly possible to make a chicken pot pie with no bottom crust, the overwhelming majority of recipes that I’ve tried are made with a bottom crust.
As for this particular recipe, it does indeed have a bottom crust.
What’s the Best Way to Reheat Chicken Pot Pies?
After freezing the pot pies, the best way to reheat them is by following these steps:
- Thaw overnight. I like to thaw frozen chicken pot pies by leaving them in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat the oven. Preheat your oven to 400℉.
- Bake. Place the pies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes or until warmed through.
Can I Use Store Bought Puff Pastry for Low Carb Pot Pies?
Store bought puff pastry is a common ingredient used when making chicken pot pie recipes. With that being said, unfortunately it can’t be slotted into this particular pot pie recipe because it’s not keto friendly.
(You may also like: Baked Keto Taco Pie)
Mini Keto Chicken Pot Pies (Easy, Low Carb and Freezable)
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
For the crust:
- 3 cups shredded low moisture mozzarella
- 10 tbsp butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- salt to taste
For the filling:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 pound chicken breast, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup frozen green peas
- 2 tsp paprika
- salt and black pepper to taste
For egg wash:
- 1 egg, beaten
- To make the crust, add the mozzarella cheese and butter to a microwave safe bowl.
- Cover with microwave safe plastic wrap.
- Microwave for 1 minute or until melted.
- Add the melted mozzarella mixture, almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, dried thyme and eggs to a food processor and process until well combined.
- Transfer the dough to parchment paper and form into a log shape.
- Refrigerate while making the filling.
- To make the filling, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, celery and carrot and cook until soft.
- Add the chicken and cook until no longer pink.
- Add the dried thyme, paprika, vinegar, chicken broth, heavy cream and green peas and stir to combine.
- Cook and stir until thickened.
- Remove from the heat.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Let it cool.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and divide into 1/3 and 2/3 parts.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with silicon cups.
- Cut 2/3 of the dough into 12 pieces.
- Press each piece into a cup on the muffin tin.
- Divide the filling between cups. Do not over-fill.
- Cut 1/3 of the dough into 12 circles.
- Top each mini pie with a circle and pinch edges to seal.
- Brush the pies with beaten egg.
- Cut a few slits in the top of the each pie to create a vent.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Serve immediately or freeze for later.
- To freeze, cool the pies completely.
- Place the pies on a tray lined with parchment paper and freeze until firm.
- Wrap each pie in plastic wrap then stick in a freezer bag.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To reheat, thaw the pies in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Place the pies on a tray lined with parchment paper and cover with foil.
- Bake in preheat oven for 20 minutes or until warmed through.