This recipe for keto buffalo chicken nuggets has been my go-to for kids and adults alike. These nuggets have been tried and tested over the years and are even better than some of my previous favorite buffalo recipes!
Here’s how to make the chicken nuggets:
How to Make Keto Buffalo Chicken Nuggets
- Pat dry. Once the chicken is prepared, be sure to pat the pieces dry before anything else.
- Season and toss with Frank’s. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and toss the chicken pieces in Frank’s Red Hot Sauce.
- Let marinate. Let the chicken pieces marinate for at least 30 minutes or as long as 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- Make the dry breading mix. Combine the coconut flour, almond flour, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and paprika.
- Beat the egg mixture. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs.
- Prepare the nuggets. Dip the nugget in the eggs and then coat it in the dry breading mixture.
- Bake. Bake the chicken nuggets in the oven until golden brown.
How to Make Homemade Garlic Ranch Dressing
Once you realize how easy it is to make homemade garlic ranch dressing, you won’t feel the need to use store-bought dressing ever.
- Combine the ingredients. In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, garlic powder, dried dill and dried parsley.
- Optional: Season with salt and pepper.
4 Reasons to Make Buffalo Chicken Nuggets in the Oven
I’ve had plenty of experience with frying and baking chicken nuggets, and I’ve always been a huge fan of baking them because of so many reasons.
- It’s easier to keep consistent. Unlike frying, some pieces can left behind in the fryer for too long, leading to inconsistent cook times per nugget.
- You use less grease. We don’t shy away from oils in the keto diet, but if you’re watching your calorie intake, frying vs. baking can make a big difference in calories.
- It’s safer to bake vs. fry. Have you ever gotten splattered by hot oil? I have, and it’s definitely not fun and can lead to some serious burns.
- It results in a crisp, golden brown exterior. Even though you can also achieve a crisp, golden brown exterior when frying chicken nuggets, I find that baking helps me achieve more even coloring.
Is Hot Sauce Keto-friendly?
Hot sauce is generally low in carbs since it uses water or vinegar as a base, however there are also some hot sauce brands that incorporate a lot of ketchup.
Unsweetened ketchup only contains a few carbs per serving, however it’s important to steer clear of any hot sauces that contain sweetened ketchup, as the added sugars increase the overall carb content of the sauce.
4 Best Keto-friendly Hot Sauce Brands for Buffalo Chicken Recipe
- Tabasco Original Red Sauce
- Cholula Original Hot Sauce
- Sweet Baby Ray’s Buffalo Wing Sauce
- Syberg’s Wing Sauce
Buffalo Keto Chicken Nuggets with Homemade Garlic Ranch
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
For the buffalo chicken nuggets:
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¾ cup Franks Red Hot Sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 eggs
- olive oil spray
For garlic ranch sauce:
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried dill
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp onion powder
salt to taste
- To make the sauce, add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
- Add the chicken to a bowl.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Add the Franks Red Hot Sauce and toss to coat.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add the coconut flour, almond flour, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and paprika to a shallow bowl and mix to combine.
- Set aside.
- Beat the eggs in an another shallow bowl and set aside.
- Dip the nugget in the eggs then coat in almond flour mixture.
- Repeat this step.
- Repeat this for all the nuggets, placing them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Spray the nuggets with olive oil spray.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-30 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Serve with ranch dressing.
(You may also like: Crunchy Baked Keto Chicken Tenders)
More Easy (And Crispy) Keto Chicken Recipes
Oven-Baked Keto Buffalo Wings – Chicken wings made better by oven baking and finished off with with my signature buffalo sauce.
Keto Chicken Tenders – Perfect for the whole family, this keto chicken tenders is nutritious, tasty and always results in the perfect crunchy texture.
Keto Fried Chicken – The secret is all in the breading which is 100% keto-friendly, packed with flavor and my go to for all things fried including this keto fried chicken recipe.
More Keto Chicken Nugget Dipping Sauces
Creamy Keto Blue Cheese Dressing – This low-carb blue cheese recipe is the perfect pairing for buffalo chicken and really brings the whole dish together.
Keto Dump Ranch – This easy 5-minute keto ranch dressing can be used as a dip or salad dressing for practically anything; it’s so versatile.