There’s nothing my family loves more than a good homestyle keto meal and this recipe for making a keto chicken fried steak with a homemade creamy sausage gravy ticks all of the right boxes in that department. It’s definitely one example of comfort food that you’ll want to have in your arsenal, especially with that oh so yummy sausage gravy–yum! This is my healthier take using an actual chicken filet instead of a beef steak.
How to Make Keto Chicken Fried Steak
The first thing that you’re going to want to do when making this recipe is to prep and then cook your chicken steaks:
- Season. Season the chicken steaks to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Prepare the egg mix. Add one large egg and heavy cream to a shallow dish and mix to combine.
- Prepare the pork rind mix. In a separate shallow dish, add the crushed pork rinds, grated Parmesan cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika and mix to combine.
- Dredge. Dip each piece of chicken in the egg mixture before dredging in the pork rind mixture.
- Prepare the frying pan. Add about one inch of cooking oil to a heavy, deep frying pan and heat over medium high heat.
- Fry. Fry the chicken steaks in batches of 2 at a time for 2-3 minutes per side (or until lightly browned).
- Drain. Remove the steaks from the pan and set them all aside. Drain all of the oil left in the frying pan.
- Pour. Pour the homemade sausage gravy (see below for details on how to make) over top of the chicken steaks.
- Serve. Serve warm.
How to Make Creamy Sausage Gravy
After draining all of the cooking oil out of your frying pan, you’ll be all set to make the homemade creamy sausage gravy next.
- Melt the butter. Add the butter to the same frying pan that you used to cook the chicken steaks and melt it over medium heat.
- Cook the onion. Add the chopped onion and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Cook the garlic. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Cook the sausage. Add the pork sausage and cook until it’s no longer pink.
- Add the heavy cream. Add the heavy cream and cook until the sauce has thickened to your liking.
- Add the parsley. Add the chopped fresh parsley and stir to combine.
- Season. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Pour. Pour the sausage gravy over top of your chicken steaks.
- Serve. Serve warm.
Is This Keto Chicken Fried Steak Healthy?
This particular keto chicken fried steak recipe is incredibly healthy! As a matter of fact, here are just a couple of the proven health benefits that you can gain by making this recipe:
- Excellent source of both protein and quality fat. This chicken fried steak recipe offers up an abundance of both protein and dietary fat – the two main macros that keto dieters are looking for. Studies have even found that this main combination of protein and fat for keto dieters can help to prevent binge eating, which in turn can assist with weight management and prevent obesity. (1)
- Reduced risk of disease. Using ingredients like onion powder and garlic powder when preparing the dredging mixture for your chicken steaks is a great way to add a ton of nutritional value to this recipe. In fact, since both garlic and onion contain so many disease-fighting bioactive compounds, one study actually went so far as to claim that eating garlic and onion could be considered a ‘matter of life or death’. (2)
Can I Freeze Keto Chicken Fried Steak? (+How to Reheat)
You can definitely freeze this keto chicken fried steak – although if that’s what you’re intending, I would recommend holding off on pouring the sausage gravy over top of your chicken.
You’ll get better results by freezing your chicken and your gravy separately. If you freeze them together, you run the risk of losing a lot of the consistency when you reheat your meal.
And speaking of reheating your meal, the best way to warm up your chicken fried steaks is to simply warm them up in the oven at 400℉ until they’re heated through. As for the gravy, you can simply reheat it in a pan over low heat, making sure to stir it often.
(You may also like: Comforting Keto Biscuits and Gravy)
Comforting Keto Chicken Fried Steak with Creamy Sausage Gravy
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
For the steaks:
- 1 pound chicken breasts (pounded flat)
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- ½ cups crushed pork rinds
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt and black pepper to taste
- cooking oil
For the gravy:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 12 oz pork sausage, casing removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Season the chicken with salt and black pepper to taste.
- In a shallow dish combine the egg and heavy cream.
- In another shallow plate combine the crushed pork rinds, grated Parmesan cheese, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika.
- Dip each chicken piece in the egg mixture then dredge in the pork rind mixture.
- Add about an inch of oil to a heavy, deep frying pan.
- Heat the oil over medium high heat.
- Fry 2 steaks at time, 2-3 minutes per side or until lightly browned.
- Remove the steaks from the pan and set aside.
- Drain all the oil from the pan.
- Add the butter and melt it over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the sausage and cook until no longer pink.
- Add the heavy cream and cook until thicken.
- Add the parsley and stir to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Pour the gravy over steaks and serve.