Today’s recipe is all about a homemade low carb keto cannoli that works wonders for satisfying your sweet tooth in a totally guilt-free way. The cannoli itself and the homemade filling are both 100% keto-friendly thanks to the use of a variety of popular low carb baking staples.
How to Make Low Carb Keto Cannoli
Here’s everything that you’ll need to know in order to prepare this low carb cannoli recipe from scratch:
- Preheat the oven. Preheat your oven to 350℉.
- Prepare the baking sheet. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the dry ingredients. Add the almond flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and xanthan gum to a small bowl and mix to combine. Set aside.
- Beat. Add the egg, water, a low carb granulated sweetener, and melted butter to a separate bowl and beat to combine.
- Add the almond flour mixture. Add the almond flour mixture in with the egg mixture and beat to combine.
- Prepare for baking. Use a ⅛ cup measuring cup to scoop the batter and pat it into a thin round with your wet hands on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake. Bake in the preheated oven for 5 minutes.
- Form cannoli. Remove from the oven and wrap the rounds around lightly greased cannoli forms. When done, set the cannoli, seam side down, on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake. Return the cannoli to the oven and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until golden.
- Cool. Remove the cannoli from the oven and let it cool completely.
- Pipe. Once the cannoli has cooled, pipe the homemade filling (see below for details on how to make) into the shells.
- Decorate. Decorate the cannoli with sugar-free dark chocolate mini chips.
- Serve. Serve immediately.
How to Make Keto Cannoli Filling
While you’re waiting for your cannoli to cool off, it’s a great time to prepare the filling for it:
- Beat the heavy cream. Beat the heavy whipped cream in a bowl until stiff peaks form and then set aside.
- Beat the remaining ingredients. Beat the cream cheese together with the sweetener and orange zest in a separate bowl until the mixture is creamy.
- Fold. Gently fold in the heavy cream.
- Pipe. Pipe the filling into the cannoli shells.
Tips for Making Keto Cannoli
Here are a few of my tops tips aimed specifically at making keto cannoli:
- Mind the baking ingredients. As with any keto approved baked substitute, it’s essential to mind the ingredients that you’re using. Avoid working with refined flour and sugar; instead, stick with keto staples like almond flour and Stevia.
- Try ricotta. Although this recipe makes a homemade filling using keto approved ingredients, the cannoli filling is traditionally made with ricotta cheese. The good news is ricotta cheese is also 100% keto-friendly so feel free to use that instead.
- Make mini cannoli. You can also make smaller mini cannoli’s by making smaller rounds when working with your batter.
How to Store Keto Cannoli Leftovers
The best way to store your keto cannoli leftovers is to keep them sealed up tightly inside of an airtight container and then keep them in the fridge.
Your cannoli leftovers will keep for up to 3-4 days when stored like this.
(Also try: Keto Butter Cake)
Homemade Keto Cannoli (Low Carb)
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 7 1x
For the cannoli:
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp granulated Stevia or other low carb granulated sweetener
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
For the filling:
- 1 cup cream cheese
- ¼ cup heavy whipped cream
- ¼ cup granulated Stevia or other low carb granulated sweetener
- ½ tsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp dark sugar-free chocolate mini chips
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl combine the almond flour, baking powder, cinnamon and xantan gum. Set aside.
- Add the egg, water, sweetener and butter to another bowl and beat to combine.
- Add the almond flour mixture and mix to combine.
- Using a 1/8 cup measuring cup, take a scoop of the batter and pat it into a thin round with your wet hands on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven.
- Wrap the rounds around lightly greased cannoli forms.
- Set the cannoli, seam side down, on the prepared baking sheet.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- To make the filling, beat the heavy cream in a bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Set aside.
- Beat the cream cheese with sweetener and orange zest in another bowl until creamy.
- Gently fold in the heavy cream.
- Pipe the filling into cannoli shells.
- Decorate with mini chocolate chips and serve.