Everyone who knows me well knows that I’m literally the biggest fan of spicy foods there is. I recently shared a nice and spicy keto taco casserole recipe for all of the other keto followers who are also spicy food lovers. If you guys enjoyed that recipe, then get ready to have your minds blown. This keto habanero buffalo chicken casserole recipe turns up the heat to a whole ‘nother level compared to the taco casserole. On top of all of the great sources of fat in this casserole, a trio of Frank’s Red Hot sauce, habanero peppers, and a jalapeno pepper definitely bring the heat.
Before we dive into taking a look at all of the lovely ingredients that make this such a fantastically spicy dish, let’s first cover what else goes into it that makes it a keto recipe first and foremost. There’s quite a few ingredients used that will be adding in plenty of quality fats while helping to make this casserole nice and creamy. You’ll be using cream cheese, mayonnaise, cheddar cheese, and mozzarella cheese for your casserole stuffing, along with the hot sauce and peppers. You’ll also be chopping up one pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts to make sure this casserole is full of protein as well.
With that out of the way, let’s get into what spicy fans have been waiting for, the ingredients used to ratchet up the heat. As you prepare your casserole stuffing with the ingredients above, you’ll also mix in some Frank’s Red Hot Sauce, two habanero peppers, and a single jalapeno pepper. I like to use Frank’s sauce, but in all honesty, any similar hot sauce made with cayenne peppers and other similar ingredients will do the trick just as well.
What matters is that this combination of ingredients all definitely add an incredibly spicy kick to the casserole. These peppers all get their element of heat primarily from a substance known as capsaicin, which also provides some great health benefits. Capsaicin has some incredible anti-inflammatory properties, making it great for relieving pain caused by arthritis, and even helping to prevent other types of chronic inflammatory diseases. (1)
This spicy mixture is combined with your chicken breasts and some blanched cauliflower florets. We’ve recently shared two fantastic keto casserole recipes that make great use of blanched broccoli (here and here) but this habanero Buffalo chicken casserole opts to use cauliflower as its low carb veggie of choice instead. In all honesty, I prefer to use cauliflower — it’s an incredibly versatile veggie that works perfectly with all kinds of keto recipes. It’s also an extremely rich source of disease-fighting antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds as well. (2)
When you put it all together you end up with one fantastic keto-friendly casserole dish that’s both super spicy and incredibly good for you at the same time. Fans of hot foods will go absolutely nuts for this recipe, while everyone else will definitely want to keep something to offset the heat close by.
More Keto Casserole Recipes:
- Easy Creamy Keto Tuna Casserole (Try This Family Favorite)
- Extra Cheesy Garlic Broccoli Casserole
- Cheesy and Comforting Keto Taco Casserole (with Homemade Salsa)
- Classic Keto Green Bean Casserole (Grandma-Approved)
- Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole (Keto-Friendly and Low Carb Recipe)
- 5-Ingredient Sausage and Egg Keto Breakfast Casserole (Easy Recipe)
Keto Habanero Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
1 pound cooked skinless boneless chicken breasts, chopped
2 habanero peppers, seeded and minced
8 oz cream cheese
¼ cup mayonnaise
½ cup heavy cream
4 oz shredded cheddar
2 oz shredded mozzarella
¼ cup Frank’s Red Hot sauce
5 oz cauliflower florets
1 jalapeno pepper, sliced
1 spring onion, sliced
salt, black pepper to taste
- Blanch the cauliflower in a large pot of well salted boiling water, until tender, 3-5 minutes.
- Drain well and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl place the cream cheese, mayonnaise, heavy cream, habanero peppers, Frank’s red hot sauce and mozzarella and mix to combine.
- Add the chicken and cauliflower and mix to combine.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Transfer the mixture into a casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 -20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with sliced jalapeno and spring onion.
- Serve warm.