This easy broccoli cheese soup is so comforting and soul-satisfying! A good quick meal for a busy weeknight or to freeze ahead of time.
How to Make Broccoli Cheese Soup
Start out by melting some butter in a large pot over a medium heat. I would also strongly recommend that whenever you cook anything with butter that you use grass-fed butter. It has a higher vitamin and antioxidant content than butter that comes from grain-fed cows and I find that it has a noticeably better taste.
(1) After melting the butter, you can start to gradually add in the other ingredients according to the recipe instructions below.
Even without using cheddar cheese, the addition of both garlic and onion is almost enough to completely hide the taste of broccoli in this soup. Each of these ingredients serve to not only add an extremely potent flavor to your soup base, but they both also contain several beneficial sulfur-containing compounds that have been shown to help prevent certain cancers, particularly gastrointestinal cancers.
(2) First add in the onion and cook it for about five minutes, and then you can add in the minced garlic cloves.
After 30 seconds, you can then add in the chicken broth and broccoli; the infamous green veggie that seemingly has people split 50/50 all over the world, you either love it or hate it. Even if you’re really not a fan of broccoli, you’ll find that it’s actually quite pleasant in this soup recipe. And as everyone knows, it’s also incredibly good for you.
Related: Beer Cheese Soup Recipe
Like garlic and onions, broccoli also contains substances that contain sulfur, in addition to potent antioxidant and anticancer properties. (3) As you can see, there’s definitely a good reason why we’re told to eat our broccoli when growing up.
Allow the soup to simmer for about 30 minutes, and then add in the cream cheese and heavy cream. Next, transfer your soup mixture into an immersion blender and puree it. Pour the soup back into the pot and bring it to a boil before adding in the ingredient that you’ve been waiting for: the cheddar cheese.
Stir it in until it’s properly melted, and be sure to leave a bit left over to use as decoration when you’re serving the soup to add more cheesy goodness to your meal.
This is broccoli cheese soup definitely makes one incredibly healthy low carb meal. Your kids will love it because of all of the cheesy flavor it provides, while keto dieters will appreciate the additions of cream cheese and heavy cream.
This recipe definitely goes to show that if even broccoli can be made 100% more enjoyable by simply adding cheese, then you can make absolutely anything taste better by adding cheese!
P.S. Another incredible cheesy soup to try is this cheeseburger soup (it’s so good!): https://ketopots.com/keto-cheeseburger-soup
The Best Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 oz broccoli, chopped
4 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon cream cheese
¼ cup heavy cream
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese plus extra for decoration ( optional)
- In large pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the broccoli and chicken broth and cover with a lid.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until the broccoli is tender.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add in the cream cheese and heavy cream.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender.
- Return the pot to the stove and bring the soup to a boil.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the cheese and allow to melt.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Keywords: soup, broccoli cheese