Extra Cheesy Keto Broccoli Casserole (Easy and Comforting Recipe)
This cheesy keto broccoli casserole is so easy and you won’t believe how good it really is! Combining broccoli and cheese to make a creamy, garlic-y casserole makes the most comforting set it and forget it low carb meal ever.
If you’re looking for something just as satisfying and hearty, but without the broccoli, also take a look at our Squash Casserole with Pork Rinds, Cauliflower Casserole and Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole.
How to Make the Best Cheesy Keto Broccoli Casserole
- Prepare the broccoli. Preheat your oven, then use a large pot of well salted boiling water to blanch your broccoli for 2-3 minutes or until it’s barely tender. Drain well and set aside.
- Cook. Melt some butter in a large skillet and saute the onion and cook until translucent. Add the bacon and cook until crisp. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Prepare the sauce. Add the heavy cream to the garlic mixture and mix to combine. Add the shredded mozzarella and Parmesan. Cook, while giving the sauce an occasional stir, until the sauce has thickened.
- Season. Remove the sauce from the heat and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Finishing up. Add the broccoli to a casserole dish and then pour the bacon and cheese mixture over top of it. Toss to coat and then sprinkle with extra shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake. Bake the casserole for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve. Serve warm.
Keto-friendly Broccoli and Cheese Casserole Substitutes
The beauty of making low carb vegetable and cheese casserole dishes like this one is it’s ridiculously easy to mix and match the veggies that you use. Be sure to try this casserole recipe with the following veggie options as well:
- Cauliflower florets
- Sweet potatoes
Can I Freeze This Cheesy Broccoli Casserole?
One of the best things about cooking with broccoli is the fact that it’s an incredibly freezer-friendly veggie and this recipe is no exception.
If you want to freeze this casserole, you’ll first want to allow it to cool completely after it comes out of the oven.
Next, transfer the casserole into a freezer-friendly container (unless your oven dish is also freezer-friendly, in which case just use that) and freeze it. I usually split my leftover casserole into 2-3 containers and freeze it in batches.
More Good Keto Casseroles
What’s the Best Way to Reheat Keto Broccoli Casserole?
The best way to reheat broccoli and cheese casserole is to cover the dish with aluminum foil and warm it up in the oven at 350℉. Alternatively, you can also warm it up in the microwave for about 60-70 seconds or until it’s heated through.
If you froze your casserole, you don’t have to worry about thawing it out before reheating it either. Broccoli is a very forgiving vegetable when it comes to freezing and it won’t lose much texture, so feel free to fire it straight into the oven from the freezer.
More Keto-friendly Broccoli Cheese Recipes:
Extra Cheesy Garlic Broccoli Casserole
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
FREE KETO RECIPES + 5-INGREDIENT KETO COOKBOOKMake sure to sign up for free to get instant access to the 5-Ingredient Keto Cookbook, which includes my favorite 20+ keto recipes of all-time, all under 5 ingredients.
View All the 5-Ingredient Keto Cookbook Recipes
- 10 oz broccoli florets
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt, black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Blanch the broccoli in a large pot of well salted boiling water, until barely tender, 2-3 minutes.
- Drain well and set aside.
- In a large skillet melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until translucent.
- Add the bacon and cook until crisp.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the heavy cream and mix to combine.
- Add the shredded mozzarella and parmesan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from the heat.
- Season with black pepper and salt to taste.
- Remove from the heat.
- Place the broccoli in a casserole dish.
- Pour the bacon-cheese mixture over the broccoli.
- Toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 -20 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Could you use milk instead of heavy cream? I don’t have any on hand and was trying to think how to substitute… would making a roux be a better alternative to just adding milk??
Thanks so much
Milk would work! I think your suggestion of adding roux with the milk would give you a better consistency than just milk itself, but I think both would work.
Omg it was amazing! Definitely will be making it again!
So delicious!! Probably ate 3 portions worth as was so good!
I would hold the salt next time, and use nutmeg instead. Rich and delicious.
Define ‘casserole dish’, do you mean a 9″ x 13″ dish??
9×13 would work great 🙂 Also, those rounded casserole dishes would work as well.
We’ve been trying to eat more veggies and this recipe is a big help. My husband is obsessed
It would be so nice if you could downsize recipe so it could be printed on 1 or 2 sheets of paper instead of 3. I’m making a recipe book, like your recipes, but they won’t fit in binder. Thank you
Thanks for the suggestion Linda! Really appreciate the feedback.