Bread crumbs are such an indispensable ingredient for many of my favorite dishes. They can be used for stuffing, breading, binding, or even as a topping.
I love experimenting with different bread crumb recipes so much that I have quite the selection to choose from, and this low carb keto bread crumb recipe is one of my favorites.
How to Make Homemade Low Carb Bread Crumbs in the Oven
- Combine your dry ingredients. I use almond flour, baking powder, salt and psyllium husk powder as the base of my bread crumbs.
- Add the liquid ingredients and mix well. The liquid ingredients are the melted butter, eggs and water.
- Transfer the dough to a loaf pan. Once the dough is mixed well and has started to firm up, it’s ready to be transferred to the loaf pan.
- Bake. Bake for a little under one hour or until the top resembles a bread crust.
- Let cool. Once the bread is done baking, let it cool completely.
- Slice the bread. Slice the bread into ½ inch thick slices.
- Place on the baking sheet and bake. Bake the bread slices until lightly toasted.
- Let cool. Again, let the bread cool completely after toasting in the oven.
- Pulse in the food processor. Once the bread slices have cooled completely, transfer to a food processor and pulse until the bread is finely ground.
- Prepare the butter and garlic. Melt the butter and saute the garlic until soft. Remove the garlic.
- Combine the butter and bread crumbs. Mix the butter and bread crumbs until the butter is completely absorbed.
Are Bread Crumbs Keto-friendly?
Regular bread crumbs are not keto-friendly as it is made from dry bread. However, since this bread crumb recipe is made using a keto bread recipe as a base, it is 100 percent keto-friendly.
Our bread crumbs are made with almond flour and psyllium husk, which are composed of mostly healthy fats and fiber–perfect for keto dieters.
3 Uses for Keto Bread Crumbs
To demonstrate just how versatile and useful this bread crumb recipe is, feel free to use it with these recipes:
- Keto Fried Chicken – No need to miss out on your favorite comfort food with this fantastic recipe for juicy, flavorful fried chicken.
- Classic Crockpot Keto Meatloaf – Swap out the flaxseed meal for this tasty bread crumb recipe in this tasty rendition of an old classic that we can’t seem to get enough of.
- Keto Salmon Patties – For those who love fish and chips or fish cakes, this recipe combined with my keto bread crumbs is one of my favorites when I’m in the mood for some comfort food.
Low Carb Keto Substitutes for Bread Crumbs
In case you’re wondering, there are quite a few alternatives to bread crumbs for your keto recipes. A few that I like to use are:
- Bacon bits
- Pork rinds
- Crushed nuts
- Panko bread crumbs
- Coconut flour
- Almond flour
(You may also like: 90 Second Keto Bread)
Garlic Butter Keto Bread Crumbs (Crispy and Low Carb)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- Yield: 20 1x
For the bread:
- 2 cup almond flour
- ¼ cup psyllium husk powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup boiling water
The rest of ingredients:
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed with knife
- salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line an 8×4 inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment add the almond flour, baking powder, salt and psyllium husk powder and mix to combine.
- Add the melted butter, boiling water and eggs and mix until well combined and dough firms up.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared loaf pan.
- Smooth the top with spatula.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick, inserted in the middle comes out clean and the top is very hard like a bread crust.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before slicing.
- Slice the bread.
- Again, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the bread slices on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly toasted and dry.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Place the bread in a food processor and pulse until finely ground.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over low heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Discard the garlic.
- Add the crumbs to the butter and stir gently until coated.
- Season to taste with salt and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the butter is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Transfer to a jar or airtight container.
- The crumbs will keep at room temperature for about 2 weeks.