Today’s recipe is all about a spicy keto bloody mary cocktail that you can enjoy guilt-free even while being on a keto diet. It should only take you about 5 minutes to whip up this fiery drink from scratch, but be prepared; not only is this cocktail 100% keto-friendly, it’s also 100% addicting as well!
How to Make a Keto Bloody Mary Cocktail
Here’s exactly how easy it is to prep this keto approved bloody mary cocktail from scratch:
- Prepare the ingredients. Add the unsweetened tomato vegetable juice, vodka, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, smoked tabasco sauce, a low carb granulated sweetener, ground black pepper, and fresh lemon juice to a cocktail shaker along with 5 cubes of ice.
- Shake. Shake vigorously to combine.
- Strain. Strain the cocktail into a glass filled with ice.
- Garnish. Garnish with celery, olives, and lemon.
- Serve. Serve immediately.
3 Guidelines for Drinking Alcohol While on a Keto Diet
Still feeling a little bit confused about what’s allowed and what’s off-limits as far as alcohol and the keto diet are concerned? Then check out these handy guidelines to keep in mind for drinking alcohol on the keto diet:
- Stick with carb-free spirits. The most general rule of thumb for drinking alcohol on the keto diet is to avoid the most carb-heavy drinks and mixers. With that in mind, you’re going to want to focus on spirits like vodka, rum, whiskey, gin, etc.
- Dry wine is a good option as well. In addition to the more straightforward spirits mentioned above, another good option for keeping things keto while on a night out is to stick with either dry red or white wine; both options are low carb and 100% keto approved.
- Be mindful of the mixers. Many novice keto dieters make the all too common mistake of choosing a low carb spirit like vodka but then they also add in a carb-heavy, sugar-filled mixing option which causes things to go awry. You’re going to want to stick with low carb mixers in order to remain in ketosis; look for options like seltzer water or sugar-free diet soda.
3 Keto Ways to Spice Up Your Bloody Mary Cocktails
If this spicy keto bloody mary cocktail still isn’t hot enough for you, then here are our top 3 ways that you can increase the heat even further:
- Use a hotter sauce. This particular keto bloody mary recipe calls for tabasco sauce, but if you want to make it even spicier, feel free to substitute in your preferred type of hot sauce instead.
- Add ground spices. Another great way to increase the heat in your bloody mary cocktails is by adding in ground spices like cayenne pepper or cumin along with the ground black pepper.
- Add more horseradish. This recipe calls for 2 tsp of prepared horseradish, but if you’re feeling bold, you can increase that amount for an even spicier taste. Just be sure to increase the amount slowly (½ tsp at a time); it can become rather easy to give your bloody mary an overpowering taste when adding too much horseradish.
(You may also like: Keto White Russian Cocktail)
Keto Bloody Mary Cocktail (Spicy!)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
- ½ cup unsweetened tomato vegetable juice
- ¼ cup vodka
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp prepared horseradish or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp smoked tabasco sauce
- ½ teaspoon granulated Stevia or other low carb granulated sweetener
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- To make the cocktail, add all the ingredients to a cocktail shaker with 5 cubes of ice.
- Shake vigorously to combine.
- Strain into a glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with celery, olives and lemon and serve.