Ever since I was a small child growing up, one of my favorite meals has always been biscuits and gravy. I’ve been totally hooked on them for as long as I can remember. Even after I switched over to the keto diet, one of the very first recipes I searched out was a way to make my biscuits and gravy keto friendly. So with all of that being said, today I’m thrilled to share this recipe for making flaky (and perfectly buttery) keto biscuits and gravy that will change your life forever! Okay, maybe not exactly but pretty close.
Speaking of Keto Biscuits and Gravy…
I went through quite a few recipes–including these–before deciding on mine. I’m not saying these aren’t great because they are! I just prefer my version a teensy bit more. Feel free to check them out all the same, you won’t be sorry! They’re from some excellent food blogs as well:
- Keto Low Carb Biscuits and Gravy (An Edible Mosaic)
- Almond Flour Biscuits and Gravy (Joy Filled Eats)
- Keto Southern Biscuits with Sausage Gravy (Resolution Eats)
- Keto Biscuits & Gravy (Castle in the Mountains)
- Keto Mushroom Sausage Gravy and Biscuits (Paleo Running Momma)
Two Great Keto Recipes In One
Just like I mentioned above, what I love the most about this particular recipe is how it offers up such a great two-for-one deal. Not only are you getting a deliciously buttery keto biscuit recipe, but the DIY sausage gravy is out of this world good as well.
To make the biscuits, you’ll need to combine finely ground almond flour, garlic powder, salt, baking powder, and xanthan gum. Mix it all together until it’s well combined. Get a separate bowl and combine the egg and butter. You can then add in your almond flour mixture and mix to combine. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for about two hours.
When you’re ready to bake your biscuits, you’ll need to preheat your oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Take your dough mixture and divide it into five balls before flattening each of them into disks. Arrange them on the baking sheet and throw them in the oven for 12-14 minutes or until they turn out golden brown.
The Secret to Homemade Sausage Gravy
While your biscuits are baking, you can feel free to make the DIY sausage gravy. You’ll first need to grab some more butter and melt it in a large skillet over a medium heat. Add in approximately one pound of breakfast sausage and cook until it’s no longer pink.
You can then stir in the chicken broth and cream cheese. Once everything is combined, stir in the heavy cream, xanthan gum and finally, the black pepper. Continue to cook the gravy mixture while constantly stirring it until it has thickened to your liking.
When you’re ready to enjoy your biscuits and gravy, all you have to do is split each biscuit in half and then serve along with the gravy. Bon appetit!
What’s the Best Way to Reheat Biscuits and Gravy?
Whenever I want to heat up these biscuits to enjoy as leftovers, I simply wrap them in a damp piece of paper towel and then microwave them on high for 20-30 seconds. If they’re still not hot enough for you, simply toss them back in the microwave for an extra 10-15 seconds and they should be good to go!
On the other hand, whenever I want to reheat the gravy, I prefer to add it back into a skillet and then slowly reheat it over a low temperature. Just make sure to stir the gravy as you heat it up so that it warms evenly throughout.
Can I Make Gravy without Using Breakfast Sausage?
Yes, it’s definitely possible to make a homemade gravy to go with your keto biscuits without having to use breakfast sausage. You can simply substitute it with pork stock instead.
However, full disclosure folks. If you were to ask me, this gravy turns out a lot better when you use the breakfast sausage, so I highly recommend following the recipe instructions exactly.
(You may also like: Cheesy Cheddar and Chive Keto Biscuits)
Flaky (And Buttery) Keto Biscuits and Gravy
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 5 1x
For the biscuits:
- 1 ½ cups finely ground almond flour
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp xanthan gum
- 3 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 egg
For the gravy:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage
- 2 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- ½ tsp black pepper
- To make the biscuits, add the almond flour, garlic powder, salt, baking powder and xanthan gum in a bowl and mix to combine.
- In another bowl combine the egg and butter.
- Add the almond flour mixture and mix to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for minimum 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Divide the dough into 5 balls.
- Flatten each ball into a disk.
- Place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-14 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- To make the gravy, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the breakfast sausage and cook until no longer pink.
- Combine the broth and cream cheese and stir in.
- Combine the heavy cream and xanthan gum and stir in.
- Add the black pepper and mix to combine.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until thickened to your liking.
- Split biscuits in half and serve with gravy.