Sometimes when I’m in the mood for apple pie but not keen on making a big old mess in the kitchen, I make this keto apple crisp in a mug instead. I actually find myself making this more often now because it’s such a warm and comforting dessert, yet still very easy to make.
How to Make Keto Apple Crisp in a Mug
- Make the filling. In a bowl, combine your apple, butter, cinnamon, sweetener and coconut flour. Mix well.
- Transfer to a microwave safe mug. Make sure to use a microwave safe mug or bowl. Set aside.
- Make the topping. In a separate bowl, combine your almonds ,walnuts, cinnamon and sweetener. Mix well then add in your cold butter and mix until crumbly.
- Top the mixture in your mug with the almond mixture.
- Microwave. Microwave on high for anywhere between 3 to 3.5 minutes.
- Add toppings.
Can You Bake Apple Crisp in a Jar?
While mug dessert recipes are incredibly versatile, the type of cook achieved with a microwave is unique. If you were to attempt this same recipe but baked it instead of microwaved it, you would have to alter the recipe and the baking time.
How to Avoid Flat or Dry Mug Apple Crisps
Sometimes, mug apple crispd don’t turn out exactly as you envisioned the first time you make them… and that’s okay! Here are some tips to help you avoid flat or dry mug apple crisps:
- Follow the recipe exactly. Before making any tweaks, make sure to try the recipe as stated, without changes, at least once. Once you have this baseline, you can tweak the recipe if needed.
- Check the wattage of your microwave. Generally, the higher the wattage, the faster the cooking time. If you’re using a low-powered microwave, you may need to leave it in for another 15 to 30 seconds. If the apple crisp is undercooked, it may not rise properly.
- Don’t skimp on the moisture. With recipes that contain coconut flour, it’s better to put a little too much than too little of the liquid ingredients. Coconut flour needs a lot of moisture, so don’t worry if you’re a teeny bit over on that butter.
(You may also like: Keto Coffee Cake with a Crumble Top)
Cinnamon Keto Apple Crisp in a Mug (Easy Keto Dessert)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Total Time: 8 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
For the filling:
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp butter, melted
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp granulated Stevia or other low carb granulated sweetener
- 1 tsp coconut flour
For the topping:
- 2 tbsp cold butter
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp granulated Stevia or other low carb granulated sweetener
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- In a bowl combine the apple, butter, cinnamon, sweetener and coconut flour.
- Transfer the mixture to a microwave-safe mug.
- In another bowl place the almonds, chopped walnuts, cinnamon and sweetener.
- Mix to combine.
- Cut in cold butter, using fork, until mixture is crumbly.
- Top the apple with almond mixture.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Top with your favorite topping and serve.
Try These Other Keto Mug Dessert Recipes
- Coconut Flour Mug Cake – I’ve experimented with coconut flour for a lot of my recipes and this is, hands down, one of the best and easiest recipes I’ve ever made!
- Keto Coconut Mug Cake with Dark Chocolate – The combination of chocolate and coconut bring back so many good memories, and this recipe is no exception but with only 100 percent keto approved ingredients.
- Keto Bulletproof Coffee Mug Cake – Coffee lovers go crazy for bulletproof coffee, and for good reason–it’s delicious! This mug cake has all the creamy, buttery qualities of bulletproof coffee but in dessert form.
- Keto Myer Lemon Mug Cake – This lemon mug cake is one of the first mug cakes I’ve ever made, and it’s been one of my go-to recipes ever since. Its strong citrus flavor and mild sweetness make it the perfect ending to any meal.
- Flourless Keto Peanut Butter Mug Cake – I’ve made this recipe countless times for my kids and their friends, and they haven’t noticed that I use all healthy ingredients for it–it’s THAT good!